NPF suspends operations. New pro team formed in Florida.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, softball is kind of an individual sport though...Other than moving runners over, there are not a lot of "selfless" acts in baseball/softball...what benefits you also benefits the team...

True. But USA softball had an absolutely ridiculous ERA and still struggled because they couldn't score.

Jun 8, 2016
True. But USA softball had an absolutely ridiculous ERA and still struggled because they couldn't score.
Right because each batter wasn’t able to win their individual battle with the pitcher enough times..they certainly did the whole move the runner over thing when they had people on base…

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Right because each batter wasn’t able to win their individual battle with the pitcher enough times..they certainly did the whole move the runner over thing when they had people on base…
Yes, individual battles. My point is that no one individual will consistently win games. I have never seen a softball team win a game when they score 0 runs.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, individual battles. My point is that no one individual will consistently win games. I have never seen a softball team win a game when they score 0 runs.
Not sure where you are disagreeing with me?? Yes I know there are more than 1 player on a softball team..I would hope you would know that I know this 😂

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
I agree. I think it's pretty obviously untrue that people only watch the WCWS because they like one college or another. They may grow to be a fan of one, but they're watching for the sport. Otherwise, every sport's college championship would do huge numbers on ESPN.

The biggest issue, like I said, is that nobody knew the NPF even existed because they were either too incompetent or uninterested in putting their product in front of as many eyeballs as possible. ESPN has a hundred networks, and they'll put pretty much anything on. I've seen drone racing on TV. I've seen footvolley (it's literally volleyball, but you have to kick the ball over the net). You're telling me softball isn't more popular than that? GTFO.
I think the WCWS is such a well produced and played tournament that it draws those big numbers. It also is played at a good time of year for most softball fans to watch it. I have watched pro games and the quality of the production is not even close. Could an ESPN be interested? Maybe, but they have seen and profited from how good the WCWS is and they took a pass.

Nov 8, 2020
Its been tried... many years ago I helped the Silver Bullets get organized and helped them TRY to raise money. They only lasted 4 years of active ball. Coors helped to the tune of $2M per year {recollection) which allowed them to barnstorm and pay incidentals

The first year showed decent promise, but it quickly turn into a novelty.. Fans never latched on. It was a mediocre viewing experience even with baseball on strike

It was tough to watch with McGuire, Sosa, Bell, Piazza, Bonds, Thomas.... smashing the ball and the Bullets losing to Legion teams
Silver Bullets were a side show act, that I even I took part in and played against. People didn't want to watch a girls baseball team get smashed by the guys teams.
Silver Bullets may have worked as a league of all women baseball teams playing against each other.

Could have sworn I replied to this earlier but this tap to talk app barely works and this forum doesn't really work on this phone

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2020
I agree. I think it's pretty obviously untrue that people only watch the WCWS because they like one college or another.

I have never watched the wcws, or really any college softball, on TV because MY school does not field a softball program, I refuse to support other schools and I don't watch sports on TV without having a rooting interest.
I also haven't watched as much as 20 seconds of any NFL game since 1994 and I haven't watched as much as 5 seconds of basketball since Magic got AIDS.

I realize that some of that will have to change in a couple years when my kid gets goes to college unless she decides to quit softball and go to my school.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think the WCWS is such a well produced and played tournament that it draws those big numbers. It also is played at a good time of year for most softball fans to watch it. I have watched pro games and the quality of the production is not even close. Could an ESPN be interested? Maybe, but they have seen and profited from how good the WCWS is and they took a pass.
Did they take a pass though? For all we know, the NPF never even tried to get a TV deal. It wouldn't surprise me. And maybe ESPN took a pass because they saw how incompetent the people involved with the NPF were.

The fact that CBSSN (and I think FS1) is airing the AU games with ZERO history says that networks will air the games if you have the right people making the deals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez