Not enough players - leave or hope for the best

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
it really depends on what her goals are...at that age if being recruited is a priority then you need to find a different home with a team that can give her exposure and you can be confident that they will be around through the year and able to participate in the tourneys and showcases needed for good exposure, if you just want her to have fun playing the game and improve, then go where she is most comfortable. I don't have any direct experience at that level but when my girls get there that would be the approach I will be taking.

Apr 11, 2012
Just an update: went to the workout for the new team last night. She liked the team and the coaches. She was offered a spot. Haven't talked to coach she already committed to yet but he has 9 players. Still trying to make a decision.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Just an update: went to the workout for the new team last night. She liked the team and the coaches. She was offered a spot. Haven't talked to coach she already committed to yet but he has 9 players. Still trying to make a decision.

But how are the 9 players? I have been in his shoes and had to take any warm body just to fill a team.... it wasn't fun and the skill difference between players was huge. We didn't do well, and really nobody had fun (despite what everyone says, winning is fun...getting run ruled almost every game isn't).

Do what your DD wants to do... make it her decision!!!

Apr 11, 2012
Well DD decided she is going to stay with her team. She did not want to be the player that folded the team and felt she should honor her commitment. Then, 5 hours after making her decision, got word that coach picked up some quality players from a team that folded. DD is excited. Thank you everyone for the advice.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Whew, good news, but it is hard on the blood pressure...

Maybe there needs to be a forum section for troubled coaches looking to join two teams in danger of folding together....Sarcasm but there is a need for these teams to find solutions like this. But for every joining or coach who goes the extra mile, there is a coach who just walks off or who hangs around year to year scavenging for players.

I'm in favor if you also propose to restrict your hate to that section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g