Not enough coaches: JV and varsity practice together?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
You know, it's funny, all the way through (D-II) college ball, we did side soft toss, and that's so interesting how I never thought about how ineffective/unrealistic it is. Don't know of many pitches coming in at a 45 degree (if that) angle... Good point.

And that's what is so great about DFP is even if you've been there, done that, this group continues to provide new perspectives and observations....If you're willing to listen, review, analyze and consider other options (clearly you've exhibited those traits) Good luck on your season coach! Please keep us updated as it progresses

Feb 21, 2017
I also agree with @CoachYodaD on the staggered practice as I have done that in the past. Couple things to think about.

Infield isn't that simple as just hitting ball to them especially if they aren't already skilled. This also applies to outfield but for infield I think of it as three steps. First (a player) needs to learn mechanics to field/catch the ball, then (a player) need to know what specific plays that can make, then WE (the team) need to know what to do as a group (full-infield).

Mechanics - how to field a ball (a ball at them, to the forehand, to the backhand & high-hops) and ideally you roll them so they get the technique correct. Alternative is if they are a bit more advanced you can have them do them in pairs. (video below showing every-days)

Specific Plays - Ok, a player has the ball but what do they do with it? - Underhand flips, dart throws, receiving footwork for force out, receiving footwork for tag out. This is like the Candera video above.

Full infield - Simple as throwing around bases or various fielding throwing combinations with and without you hitting. (One of my favorite is hit to SS who throws to 1B for a force, 1B throws to 3B for a tag, 3B rolls the ball to second baseman who has to throw an on the run to C at home - Repeat and player follows their throw).

For front Toss if you have a 10x10 screen or larger you can place it down the middle of Home plate and divide the field in two. We would put mats on either side this creating two batting boxes. The left-handed batter box uses Right-Center as CF and the right-handed batter box uses Left-Center as CF. Make enough space so a left-handed or right-handed batter can go on either side. This is very common at baseball and softball showcases so now you double the front toss on the field and each coach is behind and L-screen feeding a side. Just be sure no one is exposed so any extra nets are useful.

This is a decent representation of every-days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2019
I also agree with @CoachYodaD on the staggered practice as I have done that in the past. Couple things to think about.

Infield isn't that simple as just hitting ball to them especially if they aren't already skilled. This also applies to outfield but for infield I think of it as three steps. First (a player) needs to learn mechanics to field/catch the ball, then (a player) need to know what specific plays that can make, then WE (the team) need to know what to do as a group (full-infield).

Mechanics - how to field a ball (a ball at them, to the forehand, to the backhand & high-hops) and ideally you roll them so they get the technique correct. Alternative is if they are a bit more advanced you can have them do them in pairs. (video below showing every-days)

Specific Plays - Ok, a player has the ball but what do they do with it? - Underhand flips, dart throws, receiving footwork for force out, receiving footwork for tag out. This is like the Candera video above.

Full infield - Simple as throwing around bases or various fielding throwing combinations with and without you hitting. (One of my favorite is hit to SS who throws to 1B for a force, 1B throws to 3B for a tag, 3B rolls the ball to second baseman who has to throw an on the run to C at home - Repeat and player follows their throw).

For front Toss if you have a 10x10 screen or larger you can place it down the middle of Home plate and divide the field in two. We would put mats on either side this creating two batting boxes. The left-handed batter box uses Right-Center as CF and the right-handed batter box uses Left-Center as CF. Make enough space so a left-handed or right-handed batter can go on either side. This is very common at baseball and softball showcases so now you double the front toss on the field and each coach is behind and L-screen feeding a side. Just be sure no one is exposed so any extra nets are useful.

This is a decent representation of every-days.

Thank you!!!

May 1, 2018
I might suggest getting to know you parents also. You could have a guy/girl who has been coaching for years sitting in the stands. I have been coaching for 18+ years but would never speak up at a HS practice unless specifically asked.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I might suggest getting to know you parents also. You could have a guy/girl who has been coaching for years sitting in the stands. I have been coaching for 18+ years but would never speak up at a HS practice unless specifically asked.

You'll want to check your HS association rules before you do this. We can't have anybody coaching the team unless they've passed certain tests (or they have a teaching certificate).

Aug 25, 2019
You'll want to check your HS association rules before you do this. We can't have anybody coaching the team unless they've passed certain tests (or they have a teaching certificate).
Same in NY, you have to be vetted by the HS and basically have to be hired to be a assistant coach. I coached my DD's team in Rec ball for 3 years, and when that team got to middle school they were pretty good, which was a good thing because the coach was brand new. She was their English teacher and since she played HS softball years ago, she was the one picked. It was either her or the team wasn't going to happen. She was a great teacher, great person, horrible coach, didn't know what to do at all. I never said a word about any of it.

There may be experienced parents, but there could be so many problems with them stepping onto a school practice field with a school team if they are not a school employee (not necessarily a teacher there, but being paid to be the coach), I wouldn't do it if I was asked by the coach to help out, although she never did. Although I have to say I did a bit of coaching from the sidelines during games, to my wife's chagrin....

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2017
I would think it through before inviting parents to help. You don’t want the perception someone is favored or worse the parent helping gets a big head, and by association the player, and they start to think they are special.

I saw this happen first hand and it ended up being a fecal performance in the end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13