Normal for High School ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Now I know a lot of you on this board are high school coaches and believe me I'm sure you guys are great softball coaches but for every one of you great coaches there are 50 coaches out there that thinks that the softball world revolves around them and most of the time there just using talent from their respective travel coaches to win games.

That's pretty harsh. Lots of coaches in every level of sports use talent that was developed elsewhere to win games. But in any event, I sure hope the ratio is better than 50-to-1, but my DD hasn't entered high school yet, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Dec 7, 2011
That's pretty harsh. Lots of coaches in every level of sports use talent that was developed elsewhere to win games. But in any event, I sure hope the ratio is better than 50-to-1, but my DD hasn't entered high school yet, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

OMG Witchita - SCDad is either on his way to your house right now or he is loading his weapons..... This should be fun.

(But I agree with your analogy that with the standard mega-wide range of talent that HS programs have the better TB players end up spending their time trying to bring up the HS-only players. Then with the standard "step-down" training programs HS offer,....the HS domain usually brings down the level of play of a TB-A player.)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD did exactly this. She pitched every game in JV, her freshman year. We were OK with it. Parents even thanked her for staying down and getting the girls some wins. Then, out of the blue, I was told she had to be at the tournament that weekend and our reservations had been made. She did play, in the trny, which also surprised me. We had moved in from a district that was very political, so we were surprised to be treated fairly.

Lenski
There is not a freshman rule to play JV

Left Field -
Our district has several "basketball" schools who focus little effort on softball. We seldom play 5 inning games during district schedule.
This level of competition serves to "hide" weaknesses at the varsity level.

My first experience with high school ball was last year, when most of my TB team were freshmen. Every kid on the team was either newcomer of the year, all-district, or all state, except for 3 who went to school here. (The one who did play here was all state and offensive MVP of district) One of the others won 4 playoff games in the circle, including the deciding game of the regional semi.) I have definitely been disappointed with the lack of "passion" exhibited by the staff here.

The present coach came here mid-year last year, due to "issues" with the previous coach. The previous coach had made an effort to attend tourneys and saw what he had coming. The "new guy" has not made that effort. Its frustrating. Last year our JV scored 399 runs and surrendered 15. Nobody got alot out of that...

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Last year our JV scored 399 runs and surrendered 15. Nobody got alot out of that...

Whew! ... My daughter is going into the 9th grade next year at a high school where they once had a winning streak of like 40+ in JV games. If she doesn't make varsity (and it's a very good varsity team, obviously), then she'd not get much out of JV, but it's hard to say ''I'll just play TB until next season'' and stay in good graces w/ the high school coaches.

Jul 2, 2013
The level of pitching the players see between JV and Varsity is vastly different.

The upper-class hitters have to produce. If you are an upper-class hitter who cannot break the .300 BA level, be careful, your job on the offense is not safe.

Otherwise from an offensive standpoint, putting an underclass JV player (no matter how good she hit on JV) ahead of a producing Varsity player does not make any sense.

Jul 2, 2013
OMG Witchita - SCDad is either on his way to your house right now or he is loading his weapons..... This should be fun.

(But I agree with your analogy that with the standard mega-wide range of talent that HS programs have the better TB players end up spending their time trying to bring up the HS-only players. Then with the standard "step-down" training programs HS offer,....the HS domain usually brings down the level of play of a TB-A player.)

Travel coaches get all the credit for developing the talent for HS, especially when young.

When the good high schools get a hold of the players in 7th or 8th grade, they get them in the weight room. Travel teams don't typically use weights in their program. A healthy combination of a really good travel team, and really good high school is the best combination.

Creates conflicts at times. But they get worked out with good communication.

Jul 2, 2013
Now here's my beef with coaches that do this type of thing ...... most of the kids that play travel are trying to go to college on scholarship to play college ball and some of these high school coaches could care less if he sticks a kid on JV. Now I know that college coaches very rarely go to high school games (at least out here)so that wouldn't matter, but imagine a college coach looking at a profile of some kid hoping to go to college to play ball and she sees that this kid couldn't even make her varsity team.....her profile just went through the shredder.......now maybe this is a bit extreme but i think you get the point.

In general, high school softball is a hierarchy. So the "hot shot" youngster travel ball player must stand in line just like the rest of the players. Once she gets a year or two under her belt "showing" the high school coach her talent, and team attitude, the hotshot travel player will jump ahead in line, and get her due.

It will not hurt her stock one bit for a college coach watching a young hotshot travel player sit the bench, or play JV's. He knows full well how high school is done, because college softball is more similar in that the young players in college must pay their dues also.

The college coach may be there just to see how Miss Hotshot manages her attitude while getting the short stick?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221