non-CF -11 bat recommendations?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Hello.

My 10U DD is growing like a weed.
Last season she used an entry-level Easton 31" (-12) aluminum bat.
This Winter, now a good 6" taller than last Spring (now about 5'5", avg build...),
we upgraded her to an Easton FS2 32" (-10).
A big jump I know, but she seems to be adapting to it well.

But I've also thought of maybe hedging our bets, and picking up a lighter option,
once she starts facing 12U travel live pitching this Spring, if she has trouble getting around on it with the FS2.
She swings the FS2 really well in BP, but our team does a lot of front-toss, and she really hasn't seen any "heat" yet with this new bat.

It's definitely a wait-and-see kind of thing for us, but I thought that I might start researching/looking for a 2013 close-out or even used bat deal in the interim.

Based upon common opinion, the -11 CF5, CF6 seem like a no-brainer choice, *except*
my DD really does not like Demarini CF series bats for some reason.
She's tried plenty of her teammates' bats and immediately just sets it down and grabs her Easton.
(She also tried a 'Vendetta' last season and hated that, too... We ended-up giving it away to her teammate.)
At first, I thought it was because she was so used to an all-aluminum bat, but she took to her FS2 right away.
So it must be a balance/feel thing, I'm guessing?

Some 32" -11, -11.5, -12 choices out there to consider:
Anderson Ignite -(12)
Anderson Nanotek (-12)
(The Andersons are supposed to swing heavier than their stated weights, correct? And she does like aluminum bats)

Easton Fs3 (-11.5) (2013 model)
Easton Synge (-11.5)
(Staying Easton might help retain the "feel" that she's accustomed to?)

Anyone have any opinions to share?

Summary question:
For a "quick-bat" option, is she better off:
1.) staying with the same length (32") and dropping weight?
2.) going to a 31"/21 FS2?
3.) suck it up and just learn to swing the FS2 32"/22 against all pitching?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I haven't tried one for myself yet, but I'm very temped to get a Combat Avaritia -11 for my DD. They can be had on eBay for $50-60 NIW.

Aug 28, 2013
Give the Worth Legit -11 a try. I know I've said it before (I think) but it's as hot as any bat I've seen once broke in. It'll feel kind of like a turd out of the wrapper but put a few swings on it and it gets that same hollow sound as the -11 CF6 and the ball really jumps off of it.

Jun 24, 2011
DD is swinging a 31/20 -11 Avaritia against some pretty good pitching in 12U So Cal travel ball and has been knocking the crap out of the ball the last couple of weekends. She is really happy with this bat, no interest in swinging teammates' Makos, Xenos and CFs.

I originally bought this as a transition bat for her to use while going through her growth spurt, as I got it for $56 shipped, but I'm seriously considering getting another in 32". For the prices they are going for on eBay, in my experience, it's worth a shot.

In regards to your drop and length concerns, I'll preface my comments with the notion that DD's batting confidence is crucial in moving up to facing travel-level pitching. It's a safe assumption that the pitching will be faster, but more importantly, the better pitchers will have increased control and be able to consistently paint corners. While DD will eventually adjust to the speed using either a -10 or -11, having a bat long enough to protect and/or make solid contact on the outside corner will make DD more confident in her performance.

We entered the travel ball realm last fall, and we went with a -11 bat specifically to deal with the increased pitching speed. Having that extra inch allows DD to take outside corner pitches opposite field. In the last six months, she has adjusted to travel pitching speed and is now hitting up the middle and sometimes pulling the ball against the fastest pitching she's seeing, so our next bat will be a -10.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
At your DD's height and size the truth is that the difference between -10 v. -11 or -12 drops doesn't matter with a fundamentally sound swing. However, if the swing isn't quite there yet, the lighter drop helps (at the sacrifice of exit speed/distance), but that's OK IMO as long as you keep working toward the HLBB swing.

FWIW, the Anderson Nanotek (unlike the RTs and TZs) runs pretty true to sticker weight.

If you are looking for a cheap, interim-type of bat, the Combat Avaritia is fine. She may not like the feel, though, if she doesn't like the CFs.

If you aren't necessarily looking for a cheaper bat, I'd take a hard look at the Louisville Slugger LXT. It is a very light-swinging -10 and most actually come in about .2 - .4 ounces under sticker weight. The thing is hotter than Death Valley, too.

I have had quite a few girls on my 12U team move from CF5s and CF6s in -11 to the LXT and they love it. Even had a few move from Eastons and they love it, too.

Aug 20, 2013
I have a 31/21 FS2 that was used less than 6 months. My daughter switched to the CF5 Insane and doesn't use it anymore. Will work out a deal if you end up going that direction.

Jul 2, 2013
Drop 10 is the lightest you need to go with a player this big.

Drop 9 is the preferred bat for power hitters.

33" is plenty long for top level softball.

Always hedge your bets and give your DD 2 bats to choose from.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My 10U DD is growing like a weed...This Winter, now a good 6" taller than last Spring (now about 5'5", avg build...),

WOW!!! I have a feeling that my 9yo DD is headed in that direction soon, too. She's currently 4'-9", but wearing a woman's size 8-1/2 shoe. I hope she grows into her feet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414