No such thing as “early connection”?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It makes sense from an optimization/mathematical perspective. Once you put a constraint on a problem (in this case maintaining a 90 degree bat/body angle over a large portion of the swing) the solution is typically going to be suboptimal in terms of maximizing/minimizing (depending on what you are looking at) the desired outcome. Typically constraints are things which are required by nature (eg conservation of energy,mass,etc) to occur and not conditions which are imposed through an assumption of what should be happening.

The only thing I would say which might be contrary to the data presented, is that the adjustments which are being made in the data shown may be out of reach for some hitters (due to a lack of athletic ability) in which case perhaps asking for more EC for these hitters might be beneficial...maybe.

My only thought here is function wasn’t being taught correctly. Any kid can flex and extend. It’s where depth comes from. As well as plane.

Jun 8, 2016
My only thought here is function wasn’t being taught correctly. Any kid can flex and extend. It’s where depth comes from. As well as plane.
You talking about my last paragraph?? In which case my response would be, this is true but not every kid may be able to do it in the timeframe required..

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
No thoughts on torso lateral flexion increasing or shoulder tilt increasing rapidly? Where did I hear that before? 😆
I said it happens but it is more natural result of swinging with intention of hitting the ball hard. Also pitch location will determine how much and when flexion takes place. Inside pitch = more and early flexion. Off speed, low and away will cause hitter to stay is posture longer. I don't think it needs to be taught and doing so might lead to early flexion and less plate coverage.
If the hitters swing is producing consistent (85 plus %) line drives from the tee and front toss on both inside and outside tosses they are doing something right.
Don’t show me guy w 5 career HRs. None of us are training slappers. lol
WAR
AB
H
HR
BA
R
RBI
SB
OBP
SLG
OPS
OPS+
HOF

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I said it happens but it is more natural result of swinging with intention of hitting the ball hard. Also pitch location will determine how much and when flexion takes place. Inside pitch = more and early flexion. Off speed, low and away will cause hitter to stay is posture longer. I don't think it needs to be taught and doing so might lead to early flexion and less plate coverage.
If the hitters swing is producing consistent (85 plus %) line drives from the tee and front toss on both inside and outside tosses they are doing something right.

WAR
AB
H
HR
BA
R
RBI
SB
OBP
SLG
OPS
OPS+
HOF

Oh sorry 4 HRs a year. Not a good place to plant your flag! lol

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

WAR
AB
H
HR
BA
R
RBI
SB
OBP
SLG
OPS
OPS+
HOF

He obviously sacrificed power for consistency. A compensation.. just like Gwynn. If those guys played today they would be very different players. They were just trying to chase hits. Not power. Nothing wrong w that. Just doesn’t interest anybody but slap hitters nowadays.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have been at this a long time and I have never heard the phrase "early connection." Back in the day when all of this breakdown stuff was just beginning, phrases were created to designate certain aspects of the swing. "Connection" was one of those. I am talking about late 1990s and very early 2000s. Connection was then termed as the point where the hands developed a relationship with the shoulder complex and rode that relastionship for a very brief time. BBallScout (Doug McMillen Sr.) then observed that the best hitters did something to get the hands moving as they loaded. He created the term, "tip and rip." People like Nyman, Englishbey, Teacherman, SSarge, MarkH, Mankin, Yeager, ... all then jumped in with their own ideas and the discussion on this took crazy deviations.

I will post this clip and hope that it works. If it does, look at Pujol's swing.

Pujols-09-074_10-36_R.gif

Pujols-09-108-380x60xP-C.gif

If you will notice, Pujols does some action with his hands and then he creates a relationship with his hand/shoulders. He rides that relationship for a very brieft time. What is also being accomplished is pelvic tilt to lateral tilt. Then, as he had gathered the power of his body via the transfer from pelvic tilt to lateral tilt, his hands "fly off the merry-go-round." Some prefer to call it a tilt-a-whirl. I have coached this stuff for a very long time now and with outstanding results.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I have been at this a long time and I have never heard the phrase "early connection." Back in the day when all of this breakdown stuff was just beginning, phrases were created to designate certain aspects of the swing. "Connection" was one of those. I am talking about late 1990s and very early 2000s. Connection was then termed as the point where the hands developed a relationship with the shoulder complex and rode that relastionship for a very brief time. BBallScout (Doug McMillen Sr.) then observed that the best hitters did something to get the hands moving as they loaded. He created the term, "tip and rip." People like Nyman, Englishbey, Teacherman, SSarge, MarkH, Mankin, Yeager, ... all then jumped in with their own ideas and the discussion on this took crazy deviations.

I will post this clip and hope that it works. If it does, look at Pujol's swing.

Pujols-09-074_10-36_R.gif

Pujols-09-108-380x60xP-C.gif

If you will notice, Pujols does some action with his hands and then he creates a relationship with his hand/shoulders. He rides that relationship for a very brieft time. What is also being accomplished is pelvic tilt to lateral tilt. Then, as he had gathered the power of his body via the transfer from pelvic tilt to lateral tilt, his hands "fly off the merry-go-round." Some prefer to call it a tilt-a-whirl. I have coached this stuff for a very long time now and with outstanding results.

Imo he finds this position bc of lateral tilt or spine extension rotation and hand speed.

Edit: never believed in connection. Didn’t think it was necessary. Just didn’t make sense to me. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles