NLI experiences you can share???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
To any & all that have been close to somebody transitioning from a verbal commit to the actual NLI:

Can you share your experience?

What was teh nature of your DD's contact with the college during the verbal-commit period?

What was your process like getting to the actual National Letter of Intent signing?

Did the NLI happen in the week of the Early period or did it happen in the Regular period?

Anything else for a parent to know while waiting in this, what appears to be an "anxious limbo"....?

Aug 14, 2011
My daughter signed during early signing. During her verbal commit time, she didn't have too much contact with the school, other than the assistant coach contacting her to start the application process in October and arranging for her official visit. It was a little too quiet for me, but it worked out.
The week before early signing began, the head coach called and left DD a message to expect a package from the university. About 5 days prior to early signing, we rec'd a Fedex package with the NLI, along with instructions. About 6 days into signing, she signed with her travel coach and we sent the papers back in.
Anxious limbo is right. Just breathe. Your DD has already committed, so they aren't spending their time contacting her as much. They have moved on to the younger recruits ;)
Good Luck!

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
DD signed her NLI during the early period also. It was pretty much as Scl1991 described; Fedex from college with instructions on when to sign and how to return. No pomp and/or circumstance from the university, just paperwork.

Dec 7, 2011
Ahhh - I can breathe again. DD's to-be coach finally sent the email clarifying the inbound NLI package. Yippee!

Note to other parents that will go through this - the space between making the verbal and getting the NLI letter is a very quiet time. Be ready to be patient (of course your DD is still communicating regularly to the coach on other points of interest).

Question I have now is what is some good planning ideas for a signing day? I will start a new thread.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Ahhh - I can breathe again. DD's to-be coach finally sent the email clarifying the inbound NLI package. Yippee!

Note to other parents that will go through this - the space between making the verbal and getting the NLI letter is a very quiet time. Be ready to be patient (of course your DD is still communicating regularly to the coach on other points of interest).

The waiting will probably be the hardest part! LOL

Oct 14, 2008
DD signed her NLI during the early period also. It was pretty much as Scl1991 described; Fedex from college with instructions on when to sign and how to return. No pomp and/or circumstance from the university, just paperwork.

Same here no fan fare, very quiet time. It was signed around our kitchen table with dd mom and me. Faxed a copy to coach as asked then mailed the hard copy back snail mail. Almost anti climatic in how relaxed it was compared to recruiting .

Tim

Mar 26, 2013

Question I have now is what is some good planning ideas for a signing day? I will start a new thread.
Congrats, I hope the package is everything you expect it to be. Many, including me, are anxious to see it in writing. I know a dad that was last year because his DD got a multiyear deal.

Unfortunately, I've heard of a couple people getting bad news just before the early signing period. One was notified a week before signing that her "substantial" ride had been reduced to under 20%. Another had been reassured all was good and then a month before signing was told they don't give money to freshmen. Turned out this coach has a history of doing it. If possible, check with existing players and/or families before verbaling whether the coach is above board on honoring verbals and renewing aid.

I also think it is important for players to maintain regular contact with the coach and to let you know if they sense a change.

Dec 7, 2011
Congrats, I hope the package is everything you expect it to be. Many, including me, are anxious to see it in writing. I know a dad that was last year because his DD got a multiyear deal.

Unfortunately, I've heard of a couple people getting bad news just before the early signing period. One was notified a week before signing that her "substantial" ride had been reduced to under 20%. Another had been reassured all was good and then a month before signing was told they don't give money to freshmen. Turned out this coach has a history of doing it. If possible, check with existing players and/or families before verbaling whether the coach is above board on honoring verbals and renewing aid.

I also think it is important for players to maintain regular contact with the coach and to let you know if they sense a change.

Good topics SCD :

We all know nothing it set until ya sign on the dotted line and even then,.... right....

One thing DD & I did, with full support of the coach, is we walked through the Athletic and then the small Academic percentges that should lead to the 100%. Of course we are solely responsible for the Academic part and have that covered (Bless DD for her schoolwork too). But we DO EXPECT NO SURPRISES. I will share with you folks any and all events leading through this (as I always thought what was missing from this site is detailed info on going through Verbals-to-NLI's process - I intend to help fill that gap).

You mention a "multi-year deal". I have never heard of this - therefore would not expect it. DD could lose it by non-performance for the second year - I have heard of quite a few "de-commits" by colleges when new administrations/coaches take over. So we go into this with a "nothing is guaranteed" beyond the first year attitude.

As for a coach you mention that has a history of doing unethical things - I have been led to believe that in college softball that this type of behavior is hard to cloak. Meaning that soon most clubs/organizations start to label these schools as "bad apples" and then the college doesn't get the player commits anymore.

Totally agree that you need to have DD keep in constant contact with college coach. DD feels comfortable going 2 weeks between emails and some calls that filled this span. I wish DD could have been more communicative. But then the NLI coordination just came through debunking my thoughts it wasn't enough....

Mar 11, 2009
"As for a coach you mention that has a history of doing unethical things - I have been led to believe that in college softball that this type of behavior is hard to cloak. Meaning that soon most clubs/organizations start to label these schools as "bad apples" and then the college doesn't get the player commits anymore."

People should list the Coach and school that do unethical things so we can make sure they don't et the commits, then the behavior will change...

Mar 26, 2013
You mention a "multi-year deal". I have never heard of this - therefore would not expect it. DD could lose it by non-performance for the second year - I have heard of quite a few "de-commits" by colleges when new administrations/coaches take over. So we go into this with a "nothing is guaranteed" beyond the first year attitude.
Multi-year deals were only verbal until NCAA legalized them almost 2 years ago for this year (e.g. 2013 HS graduates). The first multi-year NLIs were signed a year ago, so them being new added to his anxiety. They aren't commonplace, so I would be very surprised if it wasn't agreed to in advance.

As for a coach you mention that has a history of doing unethical things - I have been led to believe that in college softball that this type of behavior is hard to cloak. Meaning that soon most clubs/organizations start to label these schools as "bad apples" and then the college doesn't get the player commits anymore.
There is a lot that goes on and people are aware of very little of it. I liken it to other predators that are careful in selecting their victims. They're careful not to do it with players from well-connected organizations or one of their main recruting wells. The other similarity is the victims are often too embarassed to publicize what happened.

There is also a lot that goes on in programs that isn't well publicized. Most of it is just the business side of competitive college softball - e.g. reducing scholarships when renewing players that didn't live up to expectations. It is eye opening though when a coach reduces the athletic scholarship of a player right after they were named a major D-I softball conference's newcomer of the year and onto its first team. I heard about it from the dad in a confidential PM while his DD was a senior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles