New Travel Team Coach Needing Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
WOOO WOOO WOOO slow down there turbo. These girls are barely old enough to tie their own shoes and your already talking about College aspirations here. LMAO!!

First as Eric F and others have mentioned, yes teach mechanics. Whats the first three letters in FUNDAMENTALS? Whats does that spell? See where I'm getting at? Enjoy the good times with these girls. Worry about College later.Also show as many of these girls how to pitch. At this level, you cant have enough pitchers. Find a great pitching coach in the area, tell parents to take them to that coach. Hopefully they can discount a group rate or something. Not sure what part of the country your in, take these girls to Chuck E Cheese after a bad game. After they mature to 10's let them grow more in the sports.

Last but not least, you mentioned that you have a baseball background. Remember girls want to feel good to play good. Take lots of pictures too.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2016
This isn't rec ball. You don't have to take every kid, and you don't have to guarantee playing time. You also have the power to remove any player you want from the team as you see fit to serve the best needs of the entire team. Lack of commitment to the team practice and game schedule is a totally valid reason for removing a player from the team. Players are expected to be at practices to learn alongside their teammates. If the player isn't learning, they can quickly become a liability.

Here's one way to handle it..."It's really important that Suzy is at practices to learn the game with her teammates. Right now, her lack of attendance is a real concern, and when she is here, she doesn't seem to be motivated. Suzy is welcome to continue practicing with the team when she can make it, but I can't use her in games until she shows the same level of commitment as the rest of the team. If that level of commitment is a challenge, maybe this team isn't the right fit for Suzy."

Also, be prepared that you might hurt someone's feelings along the way. It's going to happen.

Thanks so much, pretty sure I will be using this soon.

Aug 18, 2016
WOW WOW WOW slow down there turbo. These girls are barely old enough to tie their own shoes and your already talking about College aspirations here. LMAO!!

First as Eric F and others have mentioned, yes teach mechanics. Whats the first three letters in FUNDAMENTALS? Whats does that spell? See where I'm getting at? Enjoy the good times with these girls. Worry about College later.Also show as many of these girls how to pitch. At this level, you cant have enough pitchers. Find a great pitching coach in the area, tell parents to take them to that coach. Hopefully they can discount a group rate or something. Not sure what part of the country your in, take these girls to Chuck E Cheese after a bad game. After they mature to 10's let them grow more in the sports.

Last but not least, you mentioned that you have a baseball background. Remember girls want to feel good to play good. Take lots of pictures too.

Maybe I need to explain that part about players having ability to play college. I'm not worrying about that now but I know in the future it is possible that some may have the talent and in my area there is one big organization that pretty much has a monopoly on getting the good players. I will have to show (in the future) to parents that our team can go and compete in those tournaments. Now, about the present, definitely working on fundamentals. Having fun at practice is not a problem except for the two who really don't want to be at practice. Unfortunately, those two players also have the parents who aren't showing up at practice and have already stated they can't make first two games. Its like these parents are connected at the hip. If one can't make, the other one can't either. I'm going to try the laid back approach. Keep coaching and make it fun for the ones who show up. Then address the problems once the fall is over.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maybe I need to explain that part about players having ability to play college. I'm not worrying about that now but I know in the future it is possible that some may have the talent and in my area there is one big organization that pretty much has a monopoly on getting the good players. I will have to show (in the future) to parents that our team can go and compete in those tournaments. Now, about the present, definitely working on fundamentals. Having fun at practice is not a problem except for the two who really don't want to be at practice. Unfortunately, those two players also have the parents who aren't showing up at practice and have already stated they can't make first two games. Its like these parents are connected at the hip. If one can't make, the other one can't either. I'm going to try the laid back approach. Keep coaching and make it fun for the ones who show up. Then address the problems once the fall is over.

You have a lot to learn as a coach in the travel ball arena. Keep learning, and try not to get too far ahead of yourself. College aspirations will enter into the picture down the road, but it's not something for you to even concern yourself with at this point. Seriously. Also, getting players to college involves more than just playing in certain tournaments. This is stuff you will learn. The best you can do now is to teach good softball skills, and keep the kids wanting to play the game.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Ever come on here and hope you didn't actually hit the submit button last night? Especially after partaking in some adult beverages? That's me today.

In a nutshell, RELAX...and enjoy 8 year old softball and all that goes with it.

Aug 18, 2016
Really appreciate everyone's feedback. Going to try to step back and take it one practice at a time. Not worry so much about the future. This forum has been the best thing I could have found for knowledge and experience in fastpitch softball.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Really appreciate everyone's feedback. Going to try to step back and take it one practice at a time. Not worry so much about the future. This forum has been the best thing I could have found for knowledge and experience in fastpitch softball.

Good plan! IMO you also should probably wait another year or so before wading into the DFP theological hitting forum.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Get a good video journal of what your doing. Learn everything you can about video.

<video width="512" height="288" controls="controls">
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/STK/Skills%20VideoSwing.avi" type="video/mp4" />
</video>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877