New Travel Team Coach Needing Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2016
First, I love this forum and I have learned so much from all of you. My question is this, I'm starting a new 8U team in my area. Since my team is brand new I really couldn't have a tryout to get players. I actually have ended up with only 10 players right now but plan on having tryouts next spring to add one or two players. I have no superstars on this team but do have several who have ability and possibly could become very good players. I am putting in a huge commitment to this team. I played high school and american legion baseball, have coached fastpitch youth for 5 years but need more instruction on fastpitch. I am going to attend as many coaching clinics as I can and luckily have a good relationship with a big travel organization in my area where I can get help if needed. I want this team to eventually be very competitive but at the same time for my daughter and the other girls to have fun while playing. How do I make this team highly competitive without (more or less) cutting players who aren't the same level as other players? I want to eventually give the girls on this team who could possibly one day have the ability to play college the opportunity to play in showcase tournaments. Can you go play in showcase tournaments with a mediocre team in order to showcase your good players? Is that fair to the other players? I know I may be getting ahead of myself but in my area it is very competitive with teams taking the good players. I have to set up a good plan and show parents that my team can benefit their daughter now and in the future. I'm a soft hearted guy but understand its a competitive game. I want to run a good team but also care about how I treat young players and parents. Is this possible? How should I go forward to try and accomplish all my goals?

May 17, 2012
Figure out "who you are" as a team and stick with the plan. Dont take kids that don't fit your plan even if they are really talented!

Do you want to be good locally, regionally, at the state level, or nationwide?

Coaching is simply managing expectations. The teams expectations and the players expectations. Don't mix those two!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Teach fundamentals - hitting, throwing, catching, fielding, basic plays to get outs. Keep it fun. Fun is what keeps kids wanting to play. Well-practiced fundamental skills will win you games, but focus more on developing players than winning. Keep it fun. Also, keep it fun.

Get the idea of "showcase" out of your head. Showcase tournaments don't apply to teams younger than 14U (college recruiting age). Tournaments are good, so are friendlies. Play lots of both.

Never stop learning. Ever.

Also...Welcome to DFP. Enjoy the ride :)

Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for those two insights. I definitely need to decide what type of team I want to be. And, when I was talking about showcase tournaments that was kind of the "getting ahead of myself" part. I realize those don't come to much later. The fundamentals are going to be the backbone of my team. I want those down before anything else. Thanks for such quick replies.

Aug 18, 2016
Figure out "who you are" as a team and stick with the plan. Dont take kids that don't fit your plan even if they are really talented!

Coaching is simply managing expectations. The teams expectations and the players expectations. Don't mix those two!

I would have to say I want to be very competitive on the state level. When you say nationwide are you meaning just possibly making it to a world series or going and playing in big national tournaments with teams from all over the United States? I don't see us going all over the nation playing. More playing within my state and two or three close states.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
They are 8. If 3 are still playing at 18U it will be a miracle and an even bigger miracle if they still play for you. Concentrate on your 8 year olds and have fun while teaching them something about the game.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County

You had better pay close attention to parent expectations, as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g