New HS coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Welocme and Good Luck....biggest thing I would think is to make sure you and the AD are on the same page, this will make your life 100% easier, especially how he wants to handle parent complaints next, are you trying to build a program over several years, does he think talent is there to win now, what about the middle school, JV feeder programs, whats the history of the program, how's the competition in the district, do you have assistants....just make sure you do this basic research so you understand what you are getting into.

Then next biggest thing is to set expectation within the team, benevolent dictator is the preferred approach in my book...there is no doubt who is in charge but willing to take input and listen. It is hard with such wide range of skills but the basics are always your best option, they have to be able to catch the ball and throw the ball around to the bases they are supposed to without a bunch of errors (honestly this is the big thing that just kills most teams even if you get beat it's the difference between a 6-1 game or getting 16-1 run ruled in the fifth inning), and of course you have to put the ball in play, making contact and forcing the other team to keep making defensive plays is important.

Oh did I forget the absolute biggest thing that will determine your success.....pray for a stud as #1 pitcher or you are DOOMED I say DOOMED ;)

Feel free to ask specific questions as they come up....not much new under the sun odds are someone has been through it before

May 29, 2015
Congratulations and welcome to the fray!

Lots of good resources here from all aspects of the game. Parents, coaches, players, and ... best of all ... umpires. 😁

Looking forward to your stories and you perspectives on the game. Just curious, what is your background/experience coming into this new adventure?

Nov 26, 2019
Played college ball, coached a LITTLE, but never in capacity as head coach, nor in needing to develop pitchers (I'm an outfielder and in true outfielder fashion, never payed attention). Biggest struggle so far is in regards to thinking about how to best utilize the 5 players (of 25-30) who have ANY experience with the rest of them/one of me (until assistant in cleared).

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Get familiar with the NFHS rulebook. The different rule sets don't always agree, so it's good to know the rules you're playing under.

And read your state HS association's rules/by-laws. Every state is different, and often times in huge ways. Learn your conference rules, too, if there are any special things to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish