New Hitting Tee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have one (just the basic tee without all the other accessory attachments), and I like it a lot. The biggest thing for me is the portability factor. Being able to fold up and fit inside a Bownet bag means one less separate package to haul.

I've been using it for a couple of months with my DD's 10U "select team" and my 16yo DD at home. So far, there have been zero issues. The upper section of the telescoping shaft is a durable plastic that can take the abuse of mishits from youngsters without any damage. The "vacuum brush" ball holder looks a little different, but "disappears" on contact - all you feel is the ball. Although it doesn't weigh very much, it's plenty stable.

Dec 11, 2010
My comments are cut and pasted from another forum:

Don't do it. Buy or make two tanner tees instead. You can do all that stuff with two tanner tees better. Much better. You would be better off with one tanner than that thing.

The brush tees wear out quick and usually the plastic part is really hard and the kids hit them. The tanner tee gives a big space between ball and stem and they won't feel the ball come off the tee.

Perfect cut is a terrible idea and will lead to swing problems. I saw some other brand of tee with that arm deal on it and it caused a whole team trouble. Use two tanner tees and do two tee drill instead and/or mark two lines on your bownet where a line drive should hit to cure uppercutting.

Castaway same as above.

In and out, terrible. Can't hit inside ball without flattening bat. Use two tanner tees after finding out where the individual hitting line is.

If there is a better tee that lasts through regular and team training than the tanner style I don't know what it would be. And it fits in the bownet bag.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Westwind - Are your comments based on experience with the UtiliTee specifically, or other tees with similar features? I agree that all the "swing improvement" attachments are worthless.

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
I agree on the extra attachment stuff. I watched the video and was thinking they might cause more issues than they resolve.

I have a couple Schutt folding tees and have been happy with them. I was really curious as to how the brush part of this is and how sturdy the tee is. I would not buy the attachments though.

I agree on the tanner tees but it sure is nice just folding a tee up and putting it away.

Dec 11, 2010
Eric- from similar tees, I do not have the Utilitee but had a couple brush tees and didn't have very good luck with them. Maybe they are better than what I was using but the tanner style has been so much better for us I am really sold on them. Three years of hard use and not even signs of wear.

I have a Schutte folding tee too. I like it ok but got tired of buying replacement cones and cut an inner tube, rolled it up in a cone and Gorilla taped it to the top of the tee. Haven't had to fix it since. It works well but is kinda light and moves around a lot. A tanner with a ten pound barbel weight doesn't move.

We are really hard on tees, nothing lasts for us except the tanner or the home made cones.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like the Tanner tees a lot. They're great, and probably the best-built tees in the market. For a lightweight, folding tee, the UtiliTee has been great for my needs. So far, I haven't seen any signs of issues with the brush ball holder. Overall, the quality of construction appears to be very good.