New Coach Seeking Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
I actually really like the Infield Circus drill a lot (except we're screen-less), but we can accommodate for that. I think we (my assistants and I) have a good game plan for our practice tonight - changing up the typical format to start them off in groups right away, rotate them through their groups once, water break, then 2 more groups that will improve on both pitching and leadoffs (we're a bit iffy in that area), then from there, we'll go to infield/outfield practice (like we'd normally start), then our live hitting game.

Our hitting game is pretty standard - each player gets 8 soft-toss balls (from the side) that must make contact as a fair ball. For every ball past the infield, 1 point. Past the outfield becomes 2 points, and any standard out (the defense plays the ball as live) is 0 points. On the 9th hit, which is live, any bases the batter gets to safely multiplies the point score by the base. (e.g. a 5 point bat who hits a double becomes 10 points). However if the live batter gets out at any point, they lose all their points - teaches the batters that they need to be aggressive on the bases, but smart as well. The girls REALLY like it, and I usually give the winner the choice of a candy bar or skipping cardio the next practice.

Jun 1, 2015
Problem we have been having as of late is girls not coming to practice because of previous circumstances, which I'm okay with. The bigger issue here is a very apparent lack of respect by a select group of players on my squad. Of 11 girls, a solid group of 3 girls (especially when together) cause a lot of attitude problems (not hustling during infield or hustling back to their spot, not jogging into the dugout our out after drills - 1 of these girls, while having our end talk, even got up and proceeded to walk in front of me, grab her gear and stand by the door waiting to go.) I know these girls (2 of the 3) have been spoken to by their parents about the matter (one doesn't have much parental guidance at all), yet the attitude is still present practice after practice. Personality compliments an athlete - your skills do not give you permission to have a sucky attitude in my opinion.

These players (and their parents) all signed codes of conduct for me agreeing to what I asked of them to do for the season. I've openly told them I would never verbally call out individuals on personality issues or such in negative manners, however I told the entire team our attitude was "God awful, as an understatement" from Sunday's practice. My assistant coach is very timid and hesitant to speak up in a manner like this. I'm trying to identify that fine line between overbearing, offensive, and stern. My question - what do I say/do to get these girls to fall in line and do as we ask without getting the attitude back?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Implement the strike policy you talked about and stick to it. Give warnings for normal kid issues like talking when the coach is talking but if it persists give a strike. Bigger issues like heading to the door without being dismissed don't deserve a warning. If you ask a girl to leave practice make it clear to her and the parents what behavior warranted it and that she will be welcomed back next practice (after the one she sits out) if she can behave appropriately. Also mention that any practice she misses due to behavior will count against playing time. Sitting a star player who misbehaves really proves a point.

Then make practice fun for the girls who are there! Make practice something you do not want to miss. When you ask a girl to sit out have her leave the drill and direct no further attention to her, instead focus on the girls who are not misbehaving. Reward attitude and effort in playing time and make it clear to the girls (and parents) why.

Jun 1, 2015
That's what I had planned on discussing before practice ended Sunday, until the girls started mouthing off and whatnot. I'll likely do that before our practice tomorrow and discuss it with them when we get there. I'm simply on the fence because I don't want to lose players to where we don't have a team, but I'm still 50/50 if something like this would cause a player to quit. Small, SMALL town area around here. Word gets around pretty face, and a "quitter" attitude is not welcome on any school teams, that's for sure. We'll see what happens, I presume. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors