New Bats for DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2009
I had to retool my 16U DD bats for the 2013-2014 season after her 2010 Black & Blue Xeno broke. Ever since she lost the Xeno things just weren't the same, couldn't get comfortable with a replacement Mizuno Whiteout just seemed to have no pop at all, even when hit on what is supposed to be the sweet-spot.
After her swinging a Easton Mako demo bat at the St. Louis Showcase and her really liking it I started doing some research on different bats I broke down and purchased the Easton Mako for her and could not get over the length of the barrel (13.5") and the massive sweet-spot as well as the light swing weight for her to generate tremendous bat speed. She swings this bat with confidence.
With her being in the Chicagoland area and cold springs for high school I set about looking for a durable backup for her to use in cold weather. After lots of research here I found that the Easton Synergy Speed SRV4B to have been getting rave reviews for how hot this bat is, and supposed to be an extremely durable bat as well. Some people are of the opinion that this is one of the hottest and best bats ever made, with that being said I set about looking for one of these and was pleased to find it on Ebay or Amazon (forgot which) NIW with receipt for under $200. This thing has a 13" barrel length which I find to be a sign of a massive sweet-spot as well.
She will have all winter of training and indoor tournaments and exposures to get used to both bats which have very similar swing characteristics and to break in the barrels to get them ready for next spring high school and travel seasons. I also set up a batting cage in the garage and got the heater in the garage working again.
I think I can safely say she is in very good hands moving forward to next spring with her new arsenal at her disposal. I can't wait to see her swing these in games, knowing she has some of the best bats I could possibly find for her. I've done my part now it's time for her to do her thing with the weapons I have given her. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd agree. I don't think you can find two "better" bats than what you so graciously supplied your DD.

The data sample is still small on the Mako but all indications are that it is a winner. And the reputation of the SRV4B speaks for itself. I'm hearing good things about the Mako being hot right out of the wrapper and if it is anything like previous Easton bats, it should improve well with age. However, it is a new composite material for Easton so we'll need to wait and see how it improves with break-in. One thing is for sure, the SRV4B will certainly be hotter after 1,000 hits than it is today. Have her pound the crap out of it all winter!

In my hands the Mako swings a bit lighter and feels a touch more balanced while the 4B seems to have an ever so slight feel of weight out toward the end of the bat (not "end-loaded" but slightly more balanced toward the barrel) It also would not surprise me in the least if the 4B scales a full ounce heavier than the Mako. Both have massive sweet spots and sting should simply not be an issue.

My own DD (which has no bearing whatsoever on anyone else's DD) prefers the SRV4B to all others. She is very strong and the extra weight is good for her. That being said, she has never hit with the Mako, only having swung it in the showroom. Her second favorite bat (which is weird if you ask me) is the LXT -10 followed very closely by the CF6 -9. She can rock a softball pretty hard and does so with all three bats but the 4B always shines through for her in the end. One of her best friends on the team is getting a Mako soon (moving up to a 32/22 from a 31/21 SRV4B) so she will get to use one and see how it performs for her. I'm kind of hoping that, at $350, she doesn't like it at all. ;)

It will be interesting to see which bat your DD ends up preferring and for what reasons. Either choice is going to be awesome because she has a diligent dad who wants to give her the best. Well done!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks Little Angels, it is reassuring to hear somebody with knowledge of these bats confirm my selections for my DD. I've been around the game a long time, however it is quite another thing to navigate and keep up with the multitude of choices when it comes to equipment. This last summer I also had to navigate the choices of catchers equipment that are out there as it was time to upgrade her old Easton Synergy intermediate gear that was getting quite worn. Wound up going with the All Star brand complete set in black & gray. I am not a rich man by any means, however I am going to go about my due diligence and give her the best equipment that I possibly can. Speaking of best equipment I had CaseDawg hook me up with a Vinci JCV-VM catchers mitt last fall, what a great glove, but it was a beast to break-in, Well worth it in the end.:D

Mar 29, 2012
No experience with mako, but the srv4b is infact a monster. Break it in and the ball will be coming off hot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad