Need some advice!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2020
So my daughter is on a 10U travel ball team, but to be honest my daughter is probably one of the weakest players on the team at this moment, she sit on Sundays (elimination game). By no means am I saying my daughter isn't good but she is 10 and has a lot more time left to get better and that what we work for every day. but there are day that I question weather I'm doing the right thing or not. I constantly have conversation with my wife on if we should keep playing or pull her off the team but I always keep going back to practices cause I don't want to teach my daughter to quite when things get difficult, I was taught to bust your rear to get what you want. that what I'm trying to teach her. I guess what I'm really trying to ask is am I doing the right thing leaving her on the more advance team with little to no playing time, or should I find another team where she can actually get more playing time. I know this is a lot of venting but I am also looking for some advice too.

My DD plays catcher and Outfield. She has also been struggling at batting here recently. we go to a batting coach once a week and are practicing at our local fields on her off days.

Thank you in advance.

May 1, 2018
So, 1. Ask you daugther if she is having fun..... and ask her on sunday while she is sitting.
2. Is she getting better on this team, if the answer is yes... let her get better then when she goes to a different team it could be different.
3. My DD was in the same spot at 10u, but always worked and worked and worked. 4 yrs later she didn't sit one pitch in the tourney and bats 4th.... and not because I'm the coach lol... she earned it.

At 10 "are you having fun?" and "are you learning" ..... the only thing that matters

Aug 20, 2017
Does she only sit during “elimination” games? Does she get reps in bracket play and pool play? At 10U I can understand not getting reps in elimination games as long as she is getting plenty of reps in other games. I always kept my daughter on competitive teams or moved her up to play with better players. Kept her humble and hungry. She picked up on some weaker teams and played weaker tournaments. She dominated in those. That was great but realistically didn’t help in her development. I always knew my dd was gonna be really good though. Keep a plan for the future. If you feel that playing on a weaker team will be more valuable to her development then move her. If you feel like she will continue to develop on current team (and she’s having fun) keep her there. Lots of variables in these situations. If she only sits in elimination games and you know she is struggling currently it sounds like the coach is being fair with her.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I guess what I'm really trying to ask is am I doing the right thing leaving her on the more advance team with little to no playing time, or should I find another team where she can actually get more playing time.

Softball is a game...it is meant to be played, not watched. She needs to be playing at least 70% of the available innings. If she isn't, then it is a waste of time. Find a new team where she plays.

If your DD wants to be "good", she has to learn to love the game. She is *NOT* going to learn to love the game by watching other kids play the game. FYI: You won't know if your DD is "good" until she is playing 14U travel.

Don't burn any bridges. Don't be nasty to the coach. Just say, "Hey, this isn't a good fit. Thanks for all your help."
Then, move on.

Oct 4, 2018
Do you think she's close to playing on Sundays?

If you think hard work (with you) and lots of lessons and such will get her playing Sundays on this team within 3 months, I'd stay. We went that route and my DD felt a very large sense of accomplishment and it's something she'll remember forever and it's a great lesson.

But if it's going to be near impossible to get reps on Sunday no matter how hard you try, I'd find a different team.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Softball is a game...it is meant to be played, not watched. She needs to be playing at least 70% of the available innings. If she isn't, then it is a waste of time. Find a new team where she plays.

If your DD wants to be "good", she has to learn to love the game. She is *NOT* going to learn to love the game by watching other kids play the game. FYI: You won't know if your DD is "good" until she is playing 14U travel.

Don't burn any bridges. Don't be nasty to the coach. Just say, "Hey, this isn't a good fit. Thanks for all your help."
Then, move on.

Going with Sluggers on this one. Get her on a program where she’s playing all weekend. Doesn’t need to be every single inning. But she needs to play on Saturday and Sunday. Let her learn to love the game.

It’s 10u, no one is scouting her for college.

Apr 20, 2015
In this position right now. Team is extremely competitive. Unfortunately there is not a plethora of available teams in my area so we are going to stick it out this year and do something different for next year. In the mean time we will work work work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"we go to a batting coach once a week and are practicing at our local fields on her off days."
How long has she been playing the game?
Keep working, play catch a lot. Would love to see some video.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez