need help with erratic speed on changeup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
I am coaching a HS pitcher with couple years experience. Very average pitcher but works hard.

She came to me with throwing a backhand change which is what i usually teach. It was about 3-5 mph slower than her fastball ( visual estimate) So we began working on getting the speed down targetting 10-15 less than FB ( her fb is low 50's) I figure that for her to have some success in HS ball her best bet is speed changes.

I have worked hard to make sure she reverses at the top of the circle and also tried a ball in palm grip in addition to the straight fastball reversed grip. Some times it works great other that old change comes zooming in as a real meatball? (Honestly its real tough to "see" the reversal to backwards grip at the top of the arm circle in real time, and my suspicion is that when she does it works and when she does not she gets a nice snap down the back side giving the speed)

What am I missing? any ideas, thoughts. I plan to video next week to see if i can spot the difference in the good change and the fast change in slow motion

thanks

May 7, 2008
She came to me with throwing a backhand change which is what i usually teach. It was about 3-5 mph slower than her fastball ( visual estimate) So we began working on getting the speed down targetting 10-15 less than FB ( her fb is low 50's) I figure that for her to have some success in HS ball her best bet is speed changes.

fastpitch91: I have found the backhand change to be one of the most inconsistent pitches, usually thrown high and too fast. That is why I don't teach that pitch at all. I prefer teaching the "hand shake" release, while palming the ball and keeping the three middle fingers as loosely on the ball as possible. That way, when you open the hand at release, the ball does not have the fingers to roll off of and create spin and speed. I have had quite a bit of success with this method. I do expose my students to a variety of changes, including the backhand, but invariably, they seem to gravitate to this one more often than any of the others. Rich

Nov 6, 2008
If you can take the movement out of the wrist, the speed will be where you want it.. Typically as they attempt to slow the arm down to release the ball, the wrist absorbs all of the built up energy and flexes or snaps up, resulting in speed. Have her squeeze the ball - this will help to lock up the wrist, and keep her arm speed up through the release.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I like the backhand change. It is very effective when thrown correctly, and isn't as hard to learn as many people seem to think. I've actually taught the basics and gotten a motivated pitcher throwing it in about a half hour. Won't say it was perfect, but it was a good foundation.

One thing that helps is to lift the ball slightly when you're coming through the release zone. Just lifting it a couple of inches, instead of letting the ball go all the way to the bottom of the circle, puts the arm in a weak position, allowing you to "throw" as hard as you can while taking the speed off. In fact, the hard you throw the ball, the slower it goes.

Here's a link to a blog post I did a while back that explains how to teach it. Just make sure they lift the ball by bending the elbow, not lifting the shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad