need help finding tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2014
I have been looking for days trying to find softball tryouts for my almost 13 yr old daughter. She has been on my case about wanting to play softball. I grew up playing. But that was years ago. She has not ever played softball, but she has an eagerness to learn the sport as did I at her age. She has a good throwing arm on her. Please someone help me or direct me in the right direction on where to go for her to play. thank you so much for all the help.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Try this.... Google "your city girls softball league" if that doesn't work try "closest city to me girls softball league". You are bound to find. League near you and can find a local contact you can reach to inquire about your options. Chances are that you next chance to play is in August or sept. as fall leagues start to gear up. Right now is all star season then there is typically a couple of mo tha off before fall leagues start.

Jun 24, 2013
On Saturday or @6:30 on the weekday run up to local softball fields and see who is playing. Games take a little while so I am sure there will be some parents there to point you in the right direction.

Like JJ stated you might need to wait a couple/ few months to get on a Team because most Leagues have their Teams set for the summer. You might get lucky though and a Team might need a player now and she might be able to join immediately.

Jan 7, 2013
As stated before, many leagues are wrapping up. In Alabama, all that I know of are completed and getting into "all star" season. Travel ball, however, is year round. And don't let travel ball scare you off. There are varying levels of talent and experience with the different organizations (USFA, ASA, NSA, TSFA, GFSA, USSSA, etc).

There are several Facebook pages that you could look into that advertise for pickup players and tryouts for fall ball. You can go to "Alabama Fastpitch Players Group". There are pages for Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Texas and Middle Tennessee, that I'm aware of. There are probably others local to you.

We also see notices for tryouts and pickups on discussion boards and forums that are local.
(ex. al.com Softball Forum)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I think travel ball would be a tough way to start her in softball. Better to spend the summer playing catch with her and teaching her the basics. Even the lowest level team is full of girls that are typically rec league all stars.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Try this.... Google "your city girls softball league" if that doesn't work try "closest city to me girls softball league". You are bound to find. League near you and can find a local contact you can reach to inquire about your options. Chances are that you next chance to play is in August or sept. as fall leagues start to gear up. Right now is all star season then there is typically a couple of mo tha off before fall leagues start.

What he ^ said.

Your local rec league is a good place to start, and many Fall Ball programs are tailored to new and developing players. Having a decent throwing arm is a good skill to start with, but is one small piece of the pie that makes up a softball player. Her desire to play is the MOST IMPORTANT piece of that pie. :)

Jan 7, 2013
Well durn. Didn't register in my brain that she hasn't played before. Fall Rec League is the goal then. This summer take in a camp at a local small college. Our local university has a camp that is full of beginners of all ages.

Also find out who among her friends are already playing and will pitch and catch with her. DD stepped into catching a couple years ago by asking a friend of hers that pitches if she could catch her. They did it a few times over the fall season during the week.

Good Luck!

Jun 24, 2013
google "fastpitch + your state" e.g. fastpitch VA
You should get some results. The google results may have a lot of travel ball sites, but you gotta start somewhere.
You could also try googling your town + recreation, town + parks, town + softball, etc.

May 23, 2014
Pasadena,Tx
Go to Google, type "eteamz softball announcements". About half way down, it will say announcement on the left hand side, click announcements and then scroll down to your state, click on your state and people post tournaments, tryouts,etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g