Need help convincing league to use "Coach Rescue"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I like the steal 1 base per pitch. It encourages the catchers a make a play on the runner, if you remove this rule Teams are going to just leave the runners go because they probably are not going to get the runner out anyways so why risk a throw?

Fair point quincy. My recommendation is to allow one base on a steal and no more than one base on an overthrow. This would mean a runner could potentially gain up to 2 bases on a play. Sure some runners may score from 3rd on a throw to 2nd but the odds are good they will score anyway on a subsequent play. We encourage our catchers to be aggressive and throw the ball on all steals (unless it is a PB/WP where there is no play) and would do this even if they may give up an extra base because we want them to learn. The runner will be stealing 3rd on the next pitch anyway so what did it accomplish by holding him. It is also difficult to convince an 8YO fielder to hustle into position and make a good play to cover up when he knows full well he doesn't have to because the play has been stalled.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I coach a 10u rec girls league which is in its infancy as a league and we have the same problems with pitching. We do not allow walks the coach comes in to pitch. It's okay but causes its own set of problems. Lots of girls just stand there expecting 4 balls then the coach comes in only to lob an arced meatball over the plate which may or may not be crushed. We do not allow steals at all. No point, pitching is so poor that if we allowed it you might as well just move the girls from first to third when they get on.

Id llike to suggest we only allow 1base on coach hit balls but I don't know what that's teaching either. It's frustrating but I love it none the less. It's fun watching the girls actually learn the game

Jun 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Good discussion but back to my original question:
Does anybody have any documentation that might help me make a compelling case for Coach Rescue (stats on number of AB gained, time per inning improvements, that type of thing) when their league implemented the rule?

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Our games are max 90 minutes I have 12 girls and we average 4 innings and less than 2 at bats per girl. Last night we lost 6 to 4 and I don't think we got through the order twice and we were only playing with 11. The games move slow with lots of walks and strikeouts. Now this is girls, boys tend to be a little more natural hitters. Hope this helps

Hopefully one of the others with leagues that do this can help we coach pitch up to eight and then for 9 and 10 it is normal rules. However, since this is 8 and 9 yr olds, and you have 4 pitchers for 10 teams what you really need to be pushing for is a coach pitch/machine pitch division, the boys simply are not learning anything from a walkfest.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi