Need advice-Travel Team and Practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
There are uses for rec ball.

DD 3 is a pitcher, so she got in more innings with rec ball. That helped.

She wanted to try to learn catching, although that isn't really her thing. Rec ball gave her a chance to learn to catch pretty well. She is now the 3rd (emergency) catcher for her TB team.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
It looks like I am taking both sides of this issue, and I am.

The fact is, there is no cookie cutter answer for every kid, or for every team.

Some TB teams are affiliated with some sort of rec ball, and in those cases expect the girls to play rec ball.

Some TB teams grow out of the better rec ball players in an organization. In many cases these teams accommodate rec ball players, and often encourage the girls to play rec ball. (For example, a C team DD 3 was on needed to have a certain percentage of the girls playing rec ball to keep their C team status, since the team was originally an all-star team from a rec league).

Some TB teams are agnostic about rec ball, as long as it doesn't interfere too much with the team.

Some TB teams will tolerate rec ball, but TB must ALWAYS come first, even if it means missing rec ball games for TB practices.

Some TB teams are hostile to rec ball, but might tolerate it.

The thing is, you really need to know the mindset of the TB coach(es) before you get into the dilemma.

Jul 15, 2015
I'm a 10u coach and I would not be happy if a player missed for a rec ball game. I don't have a problem with girls missing in the winter to play hockey, basketball, or anything else they want to do. Once spring hits we have to be the priority. I would estimate at 80 percent of our practices we introduce something new to our players. It does the other 11 girls no good if I have to stop practice and reteach something we learned at a previous practice to the girl who missed for a rec ball game.

All my parents know how I feel about rec ball too. IMO these leagues are not for travel ball players. They are not playing the same game we play on the weekends. I would rather they rest their arms or if they feel good get out and do some skill building. Now we are a pretty good team and play pretty much every weekend in the summer. If you are on a team that isn't as serious about travel ball and doesn't play much then maybe you should look to rec ball. We will play close to 100 games this year. We practice 3 times a week. That is more then enough softball.

As for the coach sitting your daughter if she misses. I would do the same. You miss practice or show up late to a game you sit the first inning. I don't make the girls sit any longer then that.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
A miss is a miss. If I have 11 girls and 9 of them made the practices, they start. I learned a long time ago to not grade one miss is okay over another. I reward those who show up.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I'm not sure I agree with this. I have seen more than a few situations in rec (10U and 12U) where a skilled player's development is not progressing because the low level of competition around them isn't challenging them to keep improving. Last year, in my DD's second year of 10U rec, we saw that situation coming, and made the move to TB after the spring rec season. It was absolutely the right move for her development. Seeing what 12U rec ball looks like this spring confirms our decision. My DD would be no where near the level she is currently at if we had stayed. She has learned things about the game and been pushed to a higher level of performance than she ever could have reached in rec ball.

There is a good argument to be made both ways- where did your DD first pick up a softball? Travel or rec?
My DD is playing in college, she played rec ball thru middle school with her friends-these are the memories they
will cherish. Rec ball here though does not interfere with travel as rec season runs Feb-April
I coached some very good TB players who never played until 12U rec. Thus -they have to start somewhere.....
rec leagues spark the interest, TB refines the skills

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Rec ball is where almost every girl starts. Some start later than others. For example, my DD 1 didn't join rec ball until 2nd year 12u. When she was 2nd year 14u she was on her first travel team -- a 16u team.

The lower level TB teams usually get their girls from rec ball. One way they know about the new girls is other TB girls playing rec ball.

A level teams usually get their girls from the B and C teams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC