Need a Pep Talk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If DD continues on her path and throws faster, more accurate, and with better spin than anyone else on the team, I don't believe there will be an issue with him using her a pitcher.

Perfect! This is what you want ... a coach that will use relative performance when making playing time decisions.

So while everyone else is using Happy Elbow, you'll be using Whip. Seems like you have an advantage over those more ignorant of reality.

Oct 19, 2009
I would have put together a small scrap book of her accomplishments and written a nice letter to the first coach explaining that none of this would have been possible without him forcing her to go to another school and prove him wrong. I probably would have hand delivered it to his school too. :)

IMO in high school the sports field is should be considered an extension of the class room, I actually made a formal complaint to the school and had an appointment with the principal and had the backing of a school board member who is a friend of mine and also her DD played on the team. My issue was that the coach had told another coach of a high school team DD would not make his team because of the way she pitched. It was like telling another teacher a kid would fail a class even before the class started.

The school DD transferred to ask that my wife and I not go through with the complaint and we reluctantly followed the wishes of the new school. IMO she received a better education in the new school than she would have at the old school, so things worked out for the best.

May 9, 2014
Thank you all so much... These are exactly the stories I knew I could count on you for! Today was better... HC took me aside to explain their point of view, and it was exactly what I thought he meant. His concern is that he won't be able to use her if she can't locate her pitches. In his opinion, the best way for her to do that is listen to the pitching coach and do what she says. He even told me they took a trip to listen to Jenny Finch teach a pitching clinic, and she teaches the same way they do...My tongue is still sore from biting it. He also said that the only time he had ever heard the word pronation was on a clinic about spins (sigh!). So, DFPers, we once again thank you all for your help, this community really is amazing! DD is anxious to read your replies, So I will hand the PC over to her.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you all so much... These are exactly the stories I knew I could count on you for! Today was better... HC took me aside to explain their point of view, and it was exactly what I thought he meant. His concern is that he won't be able to use her if she can't locate her pitches. In his opinion, the best way for her to do that is listen to the pitching coach and do what she says. He even told me they took a trip to listen to Jenny Finch teach a pitching clinic, and she teaches the same way they do...My tongue is still sore from biting it. He also said that the only time he had ever heard the word pronation was on a clinic about spins (sigh!). So, DFPers, we once again thank you all for your help, this community really is amazing! DD is anxious to read your replies, So I will hand the PC over to her.

It is true that Finch was teaching the Happy Elbow mechanic.

There used to be a video of this on Youtube ..... that was taken down after it was pointed out that she didn't pitch the way she was teaching.

Jun 7, 2013
I know that you know this but you certainly don't want your DD going down the HE road. It took quite some time to have my older daughter unlearn that bad style. Fortunately, for my younger DD naturally threw with IR. Her road to getting good was much smoother.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
To the OP, your scenario is all too common. We were in a similar boat a couple years ago. I know a few locally reputable pitching instructors who teach HE mechanics. The stud pitchers they work with are certainly IR'ing the ball. The way it works is that the stud pitchers are not having release or major control issues, so the PC's don't spend large, focused blocks of time working the HE back into their mechanics... Those girls were already IR'ing unintentionally at 10u... So the PC's continue working locations and junk with the stud pitchers and they do get better.

Your daughter or my daughter however get in to see said PC, and because we have control issues, here comes the basics and all the HE glory... Kids in that situation have no shot, because those HE mechanics can only offer a slight gain in control for which you will trade off any future hope of major speed increases (unless your DD gets tall or has long arms). Eventually those kids who don't have moms and dads on DFP will wash out of pitching...

For my kids, I've taught them how to handle contrary instruction from coaches or instructors. Fortunately we've not had to endure a full season full of contrary instruction. If your DD is able to improve (inspite of the contrary instruction) eventually the instructional focus on changing mechanics will shift to hitting spots and working pitches. Until that point, you will be stuck enduring a ton of bad information while spending a lot of extra time in the backyard working things out the right way.

Dec 16, 2010

This isn't a pep talk but I hope you find this perspective as useful as I did.

This link ( http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18845-combating-hello-elbow-2.html ) takes you to javasource describing similar issues with his dd's coach.

This post was an epiphany for me. If javasource--who is more pursuasive and knowledgable about pitching than anyone I've met in person, can't convince a coach to consider a different approach--that I should simply focus on helping dd be the best pitcher she can be.

If your dd develops into a dominant pitcher, I doubt her hs coach will quibble about her technique when the time comes. If your dd takes this coach's instruction and pitches poorly as a result, I'm sure the coach will blame her for being coachable and won't play her.

IMO, your dd has a huge competitive advantage over other pitchers if you are using javasource and boardmember as a resource.

Good luck!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD skipped her 1st year of HS softball when the coach tried to change her mechanics. Coach got fired after that abysmal season and she played HS ball every year after. Averaged 14K's per game, National HS Player of the year, captured a NJCAA national championship, Tournament MVP, and NJCAA pitcher of the year. Just recently moved her to Columbia SC where she will pitch in the SEC for the Gamecocks. Throughout her career she was told her IR mechanics were wrong, she should not throw a riseball, she would never pitch at a high level, blah, blah, blah. Idiots are everywhere, stick to your principles and proven methods for success.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles