Necessary? or Unsportsmanlike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 10, 2011
Unsportsmanlike Like conduct.. she purposefully drove the runners face into the dirt at the very end of the play.

Dec 28, 2008
Haven't seen a runner or a catcher ... I'm still admiring the shot up the middle that took a piece of the pitchers ear off. ;)

Jul 9, 2010
Looked like she wasn't sure, and made a 2nd tag. I wouldn't gotten too worked up over it. That 1B coach, though, would've been in a world of trouble. If he said anything directly to my catcher as he charged in, we would've had a problem.

This is one of those things that happens all the time, sometimes accidental, sometimes not, but hard to tell either way. If every play like this keeps you up nights, you'll never sleep. The kids are not made of glass. They forget stuff like that quickly if we as parents and coaches let them.

Per the other thread, fast forward 8 years, and I wonder what this guy will do when his DD catches a 60 mph fastball in her back some day.

In watching that again, why is that guy all the way at home plate making the call? If his DD is the runner, that's an excuse for why he came back yelling. The first time, he's in the batter's box helping with the call. What can possibly be going through his head to do that? I'd have tossed him out right there.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
That is definitely USC. Watch the video without any sound. Watch the very left side of the screen. You see the umpire's right hand come into the picture on the initial safe call on the tag when the ball was knocked out of the catcher's glove. Then you see it a second time when he signals safe after the runner touches the plate. At the same time the catcher makes a dive and tag landing on her side on the fair side of the runner. Then she gets up and applies a second tag to the back of the runner's helmet with two hands using a double push as the umpire signals safe once again. Only after the umpire signals safe for the 3rd time does she peel away without pushing on the runner again.

Was it blatant? No.. Was it an "up yours" for making me look bad? You betcha.. Will a player get tossed for it? Nope.. Happened too fast.

Watching the FB coach. Yeah he did come down to "help" the ump with the "correct" call. But watch him. He had started back towards first and stopped only when he saw his runner being pushed on by the catcher. He started pointing at the catcher and yelling at the ump.

Jul 9, 2010
Just showed this to my 18 yr old DD. She said "yeah, the catcher leaned on the batter a little - big deal. But, what the heck is that coach doing? He's in the middle of the play."

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Didn't look to me like it was anything to get all worked up about. 1st base coach and 'crazy daddy', dangerous combo! '1st base crazy coach daddy'?

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I would say usc too...however i can imagine...there are 12 adults hollering..."TAG HER"...even though the ump has already called the play and the little girl doesn't know what to do next. :)

May 7, 2008
all looks good to me, just looks like a over anxious 10 year old. Other than mentioning to the catcher, what is right and what is wrong, move on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors