NCAA LaCrosse model for Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Bill had a couple of his 12's being looked at last year. He does not like the madness that is involved with the early recruiting nonsense. But he knows how to get his kids committed.

It puts a lot of pressure on the people running the big time organizations dealing with trying to project the young player's potential to college coaches as well as dealing with parental perspective on their DD's abilities.
Yes he does. Good guy. Really knows the system and tries to look out for his players but your right it's madness so hopefully with his voice and some others this will pass and it will slow down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feb 6, 2017
As the parent of a talented 12u player I'm so excited about this possible change. I was absolutely not looking forward to trying to help her decide as an 8th grader or freshman what college she should attend or what her major should be. Now our family loves to travel so that part is fun for us but I'm happy to travel on my own terms.

Question...why would you let your daughter commit to a school as an 8th grader or freshman? If your daughter is good enough to be offered a scholarship as an 8th grader, then she will presumably be talented enough as a sophomore or junior. Even if it was your daughter’s dream school, as an eighth grader or freshman, there wouldn’t be a single girl on the college team who would be there when your daughter got to school. So she would be committing to a team where she doesn’t know a single player who would play with her.

I’m not being critical, I’m honestly wondering what coaches are saying about why this is so needed and why parents think they need to make a decision as an middle schooler or freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 6, 2017
Finally some good news on the Softball front!

No contact until the Jr year!

I have just started to look into it. If any of you have spent some time reading the latest proposal please share it here!

I love that fact that someone sees how ridiculous the traveling around the country as a 12 year old IS. How ridiculous it is for idiotic GROWN MEN to be talking about POWER 5 and blah blah blah to 11-12 -13 year olds. SOMETHING HAS TO STOP. You have 11-12-13 year olds missing school. Flying all over the place.

ITS A GREAT DAY IF WE PUT AN END TO SOME OF THIS.

Is it really that big of a change? I don’t see anything that will prevent coaches from offering kids early.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I’m not being critical, I’m honestly wondering what coaches are saying about why this is so needed and why parents think they need to make a decision as an middle schooler or freshman.

The same conversation I have had with several D1 coaches at various showcases is why (paraphrased)

Me: Hi coach, I am with team X. Great to see you here. We have some great talent - what are you looking for'
Coach: Well we are finished with 2019, so we are really looking at 2020 and 2021 P & SS's.

It isn't every coach, but it is enough. And Coaches making a big deal (and they do) of verballing 7th and 8th graders make every parent or kid wanting to go to that school panic.

And this one with a Dad who just had his 3rd DD commit to a D1 college as a pitcher as a 2018. She wasn't sure she wanted to and was a bit later developing, so really didn't start seriously recruit until after her junior season. Note: one of his DD's won games in a WCWS and the other had a career in D1 where she threw close to 700 innings so they were no slouches.

Me: Congrats to X. heard she committed to Y college. Still you have been through this before.
Dad: It was worse this time than with the other two. She is the best of the three but early recruiting has stopped her getting some of the opportunities to recruit at the larger schools that her sisters did. It really restricted what schools we ended up looking at.

So yeah...

---- not saying this is right or wrong or anything... just this is the mindset a lot of parents have when it comes to recruiting ---

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Question...why would you let your daughter commit to a school as an 8th grader or freshman? If your daughter is good enough to be offered a scholarship as an 8th grader, then she will presumably be talented enough as a sophomore or junior. Even if it was your daughter’s dream school, as an eighth grader or freshman, there wouldn’t be a single girl on the college team who would be there when your daughter got to school. So she would be committing to a team where she doesn’t know a single player who would play with her.

Well obviously I can't say this because I haven't had to live it yet...and hopefully I will not because of this new rule so others here may be able to answer this from experience but looking forward I would say the answer is fear. Not that she won't be good enough three years later but that she'll have been replaced by kids whose parents didn't hold the line and there won't be spots or money left if you don't make that commitment when offered. Especially if it's your daughter's dream school. We play in an organization where nearly everyone has verballed by the end of 2nd year 14s which for my daughter would be 8th and 9th grade. As her mom I think that waiting will be better and make it more likely that her dream in 8th grade is the same in 11th grade and this rule let's me breath that I'm not holding her back and taking a choice away from her. I hope others will chime in here who had to make the choice.

Nov 29, 2009
Is it really that big of a change? I don’t see anything that will prevent coaches from offering kids early.

The coaches can not have any contact with the players or their family until Sept of their Jr. year in HS. Doesn't mean there aren't ways around that. But there wont be anything made public.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Question...why would you let your daughter commit to a school as an 8th grader or freshman? If your daughter is good enough to be offered a scholarship as an 8th grader,

Stop right there. No NCAA school can offer a player a scholarship as an 8th grader. There can be a lot of talk and BS, but until an NLI is available, no scholarship is available to that player and that cannot be done until their junior year. A coach or school rep stating or insinuating a player will receive a scholarship prior to that is like a politician promising something s/he hasn't the authority to provide

May 24, 2013
So Cal

If Oregon offered a verbal to my DD next year (freshman - which they have been known to do), yes, we would accept. It's her dream school and softball program, and she loves the campus and environment of that part of the world. I have talked to the coaches, current and former players, parents, and have visited the facilities. Their program, the culture they have created, and the quality of players they recruit (not just as skilled ball players, but as kind and gracious humans) is something I would be very happy to have my DD involved with.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
The same conversation I have had with several D1 coaches at various showcases is why (paraphrased)

Me: Hi coach, I am with team X. Great to see you here. We have some great talent - what are you looking for'
Coach: Well we are finished with 2019, so we are really looking at 2020 and 2021 P & SS's.

It isn't every coach, but it is enough. And Coaches making a big deal (and they do) of verballing 7th and 8th graders make every parent or kid wanting to go to that school panic.

And this one with a Dad who just had his 3rd DD commit to a D1 college as a pitcher as a 2018. She wasn't sure she wanted to and was a bit later developing, so really didn't start seriously recruit until after her junior season. Note: one of his DD's won games in a WCWS and the other had a career in D1 where she threw close to 700 innings so they were no slouches.

Me: Congrats to X. heard she committed to Y college. Still you have been through this before.
Dad: It was worse this time than with the other two. She is the best of the three but early recruiting has stopped her getting some of the opportunities to recruit at the larger schools that her sisters did. It really restricted what schools we ended up looking at.

So yeah...

---- not saying this is right or wrong or anything... just this is the mindset a lot of parents have when it comes to recruiting ---

The statement in bold is really the only thing I do not get about early recruiting. If I were a coach I don't think I would be able to verbal a kid that is so far away from the product that I would be receiving. I guess I do not get how someone can project a child of that age with any type of accuracy. I am not sure if they are looking at how they compare to their piers or not but early bloomers seem to be the ones that get the verbals for the top schools at a very young age compared to the late bloomers, so I have to think of it that way. I don't think that I have ever seen a 8th grader or 9th for that matter good enough to walk onto a Top 10 college team and be able to play right away. I just hate that something out of the kids control of when they go/finish puberty may stop them from missing out on playing for their dream school.

Feb 12, 2014

Back in the late 1970s, free agency was introduced to Major League Baseball. Some teams, like the Yankees embraced the new rules and went out and paid top dollar for the best players available. The Cincinnati Reds didn't like the rule and swore that they would not sign any free agents. Essentially, they made the decision as an organization to play by the old set of rules and ignore the new set. Pete Rose leaves for the Phillies. Don Gullet leaves for the Yankees. The best NL franchise of the 70s allowed itself to be gutted, and as a result, they were among the very worst teams in all of MLB during the early and mid 1980s.

I guess what I'm saying it this - I may not like the rules but I won't make my daughter play by a set of rules that will hurt her in comparison to the rules everyone else is playing by. I won't be the Cincinnati Reds in this particular analogy. My DD is a freshman and if her dream school offers her tomorrow (and yes, we are familiar with the campus, coaching staff, and academics of this school) then she will be proudly making a verbal commitment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00