Nationally Ranked Private HS vs. Unknown Public HS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Sounds like a dumb question because the answer sounds like it might be obvious.

How much weight does playing for a Nationally ranked private HS (in softball) compared to playing for a relatively unknown or weak HS softball program help in playing in college?

I realize the majority of players utilize travel ball and showcases for recruitment.

Question is just to how much playing for a top HS softball program really matters? In your experience or opinion of course.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Each area of the country is different...and the variables of what are you thinking local college, D1, or a chance at the world series college.

I have been to clinics with coaches of all... obviously small colleges look local and high school comes into play. The BIG D1...big ten, SEC, and Big 12 college coaches I have heard from give a resounding "we don't have time or funds to hunt down girls, if you are interested in playing for me, #1, come to our camps, #2, come and play at the tourneys that we are going to be at. Videos are great, but we like to see the girls we recruit."

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I suppose that i would rather play for a nationally ranked HS, just to get good coaching and games. Plus, maybe the education is great, too. It certainly woulnd't hurt your recruiting process. There are a hand full of HS coaches that have the college coach's ear.

Oct 18, 2009
I was thinking more of the HS just on the players resume. She would still play travel showcases, go to camps, etc. I know it should help to play for a top National HS team, just curious to how much. Maybe no one here can answer that question. Just seeing what else people have experienced.

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2011
I think it matters more on who those Nationally Ranked private schools are playing. Other private schools or public schools. Private schools can be a little more choose on who to get to play for them.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
How much weight does playing for a Nationally ranked private HS (in softball) compared to playing for a relatively unknown or weak HS softball program help in playing in college?

"Help" would come in the form of the experience of a ranked HS. Usually the instruction and competition levels are above average of normal HS programs. Ranked schools usually travel and play in HS tournaments with other ranked schools.

For "in state" colleges they usually have some type of relationship with the "in state" ranked HS programs, so that can be a big factor if you're looking at that option.

Like RHC said though, if you're interested in playing for Washington, playing for a ranked HS in TN is going to do little to nothing.

I realize the majority of players utilize travel ball and showcases for recruitment.

Yes.

For HS if you make it to state you'll see some college coaches attend. They may "find" you at state but almost always follow up scouting you in summer ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619