My first new set of catchers equipment and bat recommndation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I'm going to be going to our local Dick's and Dunham's sporting goods stores with my dad and brother to shop for a new bat and my first set of catchers gear. But I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I'm thinking brand wise of getting either Easton, Under Armour, Louisville Slugger or Worth. What should I be looking for in a first set of catchers gear and out of those brands what has your experience been?

Also with a bat. I've been using a TPX youth softball bat since I started playing and its served me well. Its I think 25 or 26 inch and about 16 inches but the writing has since worn off of the bat. I'm looking at Easton, Louisville Slugger, Mizuno or Worth in brands. But with my small stature (4'10") I'm not sure what brand or size to go with. what do you recommend?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There is poster here, coresoftball20, who will give you a good deal on a bat.

I think your math is off on your current bat. You should be in the 30 - 32 inch range, drop 10.

Apr 26, 2015
My daughter has a mix and match catchers set. One brand did not fit her right for all pieces. She has an All-Star helmet, Mizuno shins and Schutt chest. She is only 12 - 4'11" and 73 lbs. we tried on alot of pieces before she found what was most comfortable for her. She has been swinging a 30" 20 oz Louisville Slugger LXT for a year now. She needs to move up to a 31/21 but bats are pricey ... We're about ready to bite the bullet on a new LS LXT.

Good luck - new gear is always exciting!

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
My daughter has a mix and match catchers set. One brand did not fit her right for all pieces. She has an All-Star helmet, Mizuno shins and Schutt chest. She is only 12 - 4'11" and 73 lbs. we tried on alot of pieces before she found what was most comfortable for her. She has been swinging a 30" 20 oz Louisville Slugger LXT for a year now. She needs to move up to a 31/21 but bats are pricey ... We're about ready to bite the bullet on a new LS LXT.

Good luck - new gear is always exciting!
We're doing with me what you did with your daughter and buying seperate brands of equipment. I'll bet I tried on 10 different setups before we settled on the Schuitt helmet and Under Armour Chest Protector and shin gaurds. I know the difficulties of being short like that being 4-10 and 90 pounds at 14.

We're doing with me what you did with your daughter and buying seperate brands of equipment. I'll bet I tried on 10 different setups before we settled on the Schuitt helmet and Under Armour Chest Protector and shin gaurds. I know the difficulties of being short like that being 4-10 and 90 pounds at 14.

OK, now that I know you're 14 years old, I'd recommend you look at a few different bats. Because the bat you've been using has been WAY TOO SMALL for you for at least a couple of years, going to the proper size is going to feel strange to you ..... very strange. But you have to trust me on this!

I'd look at either a 31/21, 32/21 or 32/22. The 31" bat is obviously going to be the most comfortable for you because you're coming from such a small bat. But you really need to consider a 32" bat at your age. If you find it is just too much, so be it. But please give it fair shake.

The -11 bats ("drop 11") put out by Louisville Slugger (LXT and Xeno), DeMarini (CF series) and now Easton (Mako) are all good bats. Some people will tell you that it has to be a -10 but we do exit speed measurements all the time with 8 - 18 year old girls and we get exit speeds that are just as high with our -11 LXTs, Xenos and CF8s as we do with the -10 versions. Do not be afraid to try a 32/21 from any of these models.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
OK, now that I know you're 14 years old, I'd recommend you look at a few different bats. Because the bat you've been using has been WAY TOO SMALL for you for at least a couple of years, going to the proper size is going to feel strange to you ..... very strange. But you have to trust me on this!

I'd look at either a 31/21, 32/21 or 32/22. The 31" bat is obviously going to be the most comfortable for you because you're coming from such a small bat. But you really need to consider a 32" bat at your age. If you find it is just too much, so be it. But please give it fair shake.

The -11 bats ("drop 11") put out by Louisville Slugger (LXT and Xeno), DeMarini (CF series) and now Easton (Mako) are all good bats. Some people will tell you that it has to be a -10 but we do exit speed measurements all the time with 8 - 18 year old girls and we get exit speeds that are just as high with our -11 LXTs, Xenos and CF8s as we do with the -10 versions. Do not be afraid to try a 32/21 from any of these models.

Keep in mind that she's short (4'-10). At that height, even for a 14yo, a 31" would probably be my recommendation.

Gabby -

Before your dad buys a bat for full retail price, have him contact DFP member CoreSoftball20. Core (Todd) is a bat dealer whose pricing is truly outstanding. DO NOT PAY FULL RETAIL PRICING!!!

As for catcher's gear, go with stuff that fits you well and is comfortable. Equipment that is too big or too small, or limits your movement, will affect your ability to be efficient behind the plate. As others have mentioned, there is nothing wrong with mixing and matching brands. The general DFP consensus is that All-Star (who also makes UA's gear) and Wilson tend to be the top of the heap for quality, comfort, and protection.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate

Thank you for your reply. I did pick up two new bats today at Dicks Sporting Goods after our game today (win). I got the Demarini Defiance -11 bat in a 32/21 for $70 on clearance, an Easton FS200 -10 bat in 31/21 for $40 on clearance and a Louisville Slugger Diva -11.5 in a 31/19.5 for $30 on clearance. I also picked up a new pair of batting gloves for 25 and my catchers mitt… a Vinci 32.5" Fortus for $100 along with the steam break in service they offer.

We took the new bats to the batting cages near where we live and I've noticed that the balls come off of the bat a lot better than with my old bat and go a lot further. I'm thinking it was the bat I outgrew.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Vinci Fortus...AWESOME CHOICE!!! :D It's great to hear that Vinci stuff is actually being put out on the floor. I have yet to see that at my local Dick's.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Vinci Fortus...AWESOME CHOICE!!! :D It's great to hear that Vinci stuff is actually being put out on the floor. I have yet to see that at my local Dick's.

The glove I got, we had to order off of the website. I was able to pick it up at the store which was great. I have a softball in the mitt now which I store in my bag. I cant wait till practice to be able to use it for the first time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619