My DD's "pre-motion's"...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
(Thanks Hal, for giving them a name!!)

Ok, so according to DD's mood, she uses different Pre-motion's.
Sometimes, she goes straight up over her head.
Sometimes, to the right side, like she's cradling a baby.
Sometimes, she brings her glove up to her chest.
Sometimes, she rocks backwards.
Sometimes, she leans backwards.

Her pitching is pretty consistent whichever one she uses. And she tends to change it up during the game.

Is this something that she needs to stop doing? (I ask because I don't pitch and know nada about it)
And if so, which one of these do you think is the best Pre-Motion to use?
she's 10.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
(Thanks Hal, for giving them a name!!)

Ok, so according to DD's mood, she uses different Pre-motion's.
Sometimes, she goes straight up over her head.
Sometimes, to the right side, like she's cradling a baby.
Sometimes, she brings her glove up to her chest.
Sometimes, she rocks backwards.
Sometimes, she leans backwards.

Her pitching is pretty consistent whichever one she uses. And she tends to change it up during the game.

Is this something that she needs to stop doing? (I ask because I don't pitch and know nada about it)
And if so, which one of these do you think is the best Pre-Motion to use?
she's 10.

As long as her hands do not separate until they get back to her waist in front of her, let her do whatever she wants to, as long as it does not mess her up in any way. Those little 'Nuances' they come up with are always entertaining and many times, distracting to the batters.

When discussing these things and demonstrating pre-motions with my students, most would call what I did the 'Monkey Dance'. I was reeling like a drunken sailer but, my hands separated at their normal spot and I was very accurate and fast. Kept it all together from the presentation through the rest of the motion. Some of my students got VERY good at imitating this 'Old Monkey'.

:D

Mar 13, 2010
Your daughter is fine. She's not changing her body, she's just changing her hands. Its a good thing!

Mar 15, 2010
My DD keeps her pre-motion very simple and consistent. She does this for one primary reason: Conserves energy. My #2 pitcher is injured and is npow carrying 100 pct of the load and has had to pitch up to 4 games in a day. Any wasted motions burn energy and that could be the difference between in a late day game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877