My Bad!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
So I've stepped up my involvement with DD's team this season and I'm now her AC. So today I'm the 1st base coach, a player who I have known personally for almost 7 years now and we are really good friends on and off the field with her family gets walked during an exciting game. As she makes her way down first 2 outs I'm telling her to stay on her bag and I'm super stoked clapping for the team. As she reaches the bag I go to give her a high five and I see that she is going 2 bases. As soon as our hands meet I reactively grab her. I instantly knew I messed up. Blue called her out for coaches interference. I'm so bummed out on myself for letting myself get over excited. Rookie mistake on my part. We ended winning the game and everyone was in good spirits about it, but I can't shake off my blooper. So here I am venting. I just know if it had been any other player I wouldn't have instinctively reacted that way.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Hey! It happens! I bet you never do it again and you can mark it off the long list of coaching mistakes you will make! :)

At least you were not the game ending 3rd out with RISP. Could be worse! A lot worse!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I've seen that happen a ton. It's one of those things.

I bet you stand 10 feet from the bag until you know the player is standing on it next time. As a player is heading to a bag I stay away to ensure there's nothing to get called on. I've seen umps call girls out because it appeared the coach touched her. Amazing the umps can get this call right but can't get infield fly figured out.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If it is any consolation the grab had nothing to do with it. Even if you do not grab her if she turns and goes for 2 then she was out with the high 5.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
I got one of my girls out this past weekend also. Had a runner on third, who's 8 playing 10u. Batter bunts, like I called for and it was a beauty right down first base line. Pitcher picks up ball and cocks back to throw to first and I told the runner to go. Pitcher pulls the ball down and tosses it to the catcher right as the runner gets there. Oops. Shoulda waited that extra half a second. Runner was all upset, started crying. I felt horrible. Admitted it was my fault and told her she did a great job of listening.

Mar 26, 2013
If it is any consolation the grab had nothing to do with it. Even if you do not grab her if she turns and goes for 2 then she was out with the high 5.
Under which rule set? High 5's are NOT assisting the runner under ASA, NFHS nor NCAA rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball