My 12U DD pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My only advice is turn the camera/phone sideways. I did the same thing first time.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Honestly, I don't see much to fix. Perhaps she could work finishing in the "4 position" and not bring the right leg around. But...

You can play around with little tweaks like this forever. Your time might be better spent working on the rise, location and speed.

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
Thanks. I'm trying not to come off as one of those dads that thinks his kid throws 18 pitches but in reality she can't throw any accurately. Right now she can spot her fastball, riseball, and changeup in and out. She also throws a curve that is fairly accurate. We are really hitting speed hard right now. She throws hard but I think we need a couple more mph before the season starts.

Any suggestions to get more speed out of her would be great!!!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is tempting to go for 2 more MPH...but, really, it is not worth it at her age and at her level. You and her need to do the boring, time consuming work on location with her pitches.

Why? She is already starting to mature, so she'll gain more MPH simply by getting bigger and stronger. So, yes, you might pick up 2 more MPH now, but in a year, she'll add 5 or 6 MPHs without doing anything, so adding a couple of MPHs now is pointless.

Michael Jordan was not the best player in the world when he entered in the NBA. But, every year, he found a weakness in his game and he worked on it. So, do what Jordan would have done. You have identified her weakness (location), so put the work in to fix it.

Video on the "Figure 4"

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
That is very good input. Thank you. I will try and work the finish in the 4 position with her tonight. Will that help keep her hip back during release? It seems to me her hip might be getting in the way slightly.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your DD is way past worrying about hip closing. She does a great job of staying open through release. So, here is the problem:

Pitching is about momentum transfer. The concept is that the pitcher gets her entire body moving in a straight line toward the catcher, and then stops everything but her arm. This causes the body to shoot out of her hand. So, it is similar to putting a brick on the dashboard of the car. If you want the brick to go through the window, you slam on the brakes.

So, your DD is letting the lower part of her body move forward after release. Here is Osterman. Watch the *LOWER HALF* of her body and specifically note where her left leg (she is a lefty) ends up. None of her lower body moves forward after release. Now look at your DD's lower half. Your DD needs to keep her right leg behind her left foot.

[video=youtube_share;7LqYXr98HA8]http://youtu.be/7LqYXr98HA8[/video]

Here is Kaitlin Ingelsby, University of Washington:

[video=youtube_share;mYP5MNg4VLA]http://youtu.be/mYP5MNg4VLA[/video]

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC