Moving up bat sizes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Let me add to the above post, get a bucket of balls, a Tee, and just work with her 20/30 minutes a night on staying inside the ball, level to the ball swing, balance, and follow through / finishing.

At her age doing this will have far more benefits than changing bats, and everyone else at the field will take note!

Jul 1, 2022
Let me add to the above post, get a bucket of balls, a Tee, and just work with her 20/30 minutes a night on staying inside the ball, level to the ball swing, balance, and follow through / finishing.

At her age doing this will have far more benefits than changing bats, and everyone else at the field will take note!
Agree, she puts in the work for sure, and that's the most important.

In 8u here we use those rock hard 11in balls. She swung a super light 27/14 during all stars this past summer and sometimes when that bat hits the ball, unless it's right in the sweet spot it seems the ball wins in that collision more often than not.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Agree, she puts in the work for sure, and that's the most important.

In 8u here we use those rock hard 11in balls. She swung a super light 27/14 during all stars this past summer and sometimes when that bat hits the ball, unless it's right in the sweet spot it seems the ball wins in that collision more often than not.

That’s where heavier -10 bats come into play, more mass going through the ball, might be awhile before you guys are there at her age.

Swing harder, tell her we’re not bunting, finish on through the ball. Easy for me to say huh, yeah I had a small daughter, still do, I know all of this all too well!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yeah my terrible Rocketech joke doesn’t apply here! 😉 At 7 and 46 lbs. bat speed, timing, and finishing her swing are her biggest weapons, I’d stay light for now.
Yeah, the smallest they make in the Rocketech is a 31-22, which probably weighs about 4.5 pounds. A girl that small trying to swing that bat would be like the little kid trying to carry Al Czervick's golf bag in Caddyshack.

Jun 21, 2019
I don't recommend moving up too fast to have them grow into a bat. That rarely works. I prefer the bat be longer rather than heavier, so if they're young, consider a 32-21 rather than a 31-21. As they get older, the extra mass can make a difference, but too many girls swing a drop 9 or 8 when they should just be swinging a longer bat.

Your point about mechanics is a good one. Whether you go with the length or weight, their swing mechanics must not deteriorate because of the larger bat.

The best thing to do is try a teammate's bat, or go to a local store that sells them, and see what she's comfortable. You should know with your eyes, and she'll be able to tell you if it's too much bat.
I second this. They need to be able to control the bat. I see too many young players use a long bat that is too large for them to control.

Jul 1, 2022
Over here in 8u it looks like an arms race sometimes. Parents trying loading their kids up with the 28/17 Prism/CF/LXT whether they can handle it or not.

Even if the kid has terrible mechanics the mass of the bat is so great that even if it's dragged through the zone the ball flies off of it. I do see a lot more strikeouts of girls whiffing with it.

May 29, 2023
I’m newer to fastpitch but see a lot of folks, here on the forum and everywhere else, seem to be in a hurry to get to 30”, 31”, 32” bats. Can someone tell me why the push to get kids into a long bat? I know they’re lighter than baseball bats, but from my years in baseball we had a lot of players swinging 32” bats, even into college years. What is the logic? Seriously, I’m clueless. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles