Moving up bat sizes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2022
For youth playera, at what point do you move up to a different size? Should you upgrade when the bat is definitely becomes too small, or should you always try to have them use as heavy a bat as they can swing with good mechanics?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I don't recommend moving up too fast to have them grow into a bat. That rarely works. I prefer the bat be longer rather than heavier, so if they're young, consider a 32-21 rather than a 31-21. As they get older, the extra mass can make a difference, but too many girls swing a drop 9 or 8 when they should just be swinging a longer bat.

Your point about mechanics is a good one. Whether you go with the length or weight, their swing mechanics must not deteriorate because of the larger bat.

The best thing to do is try a teammate's bat, or go to a local store that sells them, and see what she's comfortable. You should know with your eyes, and she'll be able to tell you if it's too much bat.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For my DD I bought cheap bats when she young so it was no big deal to get a different one for her to try. If she like it great, if not great too. Hung on to new bat for her to try when she was ready.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Honestly, too light or too heavy are both bad for a hitter.

Always trying a teammates bats are better so you can tell if she is ready to move up or worse case go to a store
and see if she can feel the next size up. You can kinda tell when a bat is getting too light/small for your dd
almost like you can tell a bat is too heavy.

Jul 1, 2022
Do most of you make 1oz or 1in (or larger?) increments in bat size for your DDs? And how often do you typically upgrade?

Also do you see value on keeping the bat "not too light" in order to build strength?

I have heard in baseball, at a certain age they suggest moving kids up to lower drops even if it might be heavy for them because once they reach high school or whatever they need to use -3 or something so they say to go to -5/-8 in middle school even if they might not be ready for it just to build strength so they can handle the -3 when they are required to.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Most try to get kids into a drop10 fairly fast, but drop11s are popular because of bats not being on sticker weight.

Baseball is a bit different because when you hit 14yo, you have to use a bbcor bat. So you have to prepare.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I think every girl should own and use a Anderson Rocketech in their young softball career.....bats, bat weights, drops, and bat materials all becomes very clear for future bat purchases!! And said girl just might be a beast that Dad had no clue about?

Here's some expensive advice, get her into a -10 as soon as possible! Weight is more important than length at early ages, it was to us anyway.

Did you say what age and size your DD was?

Jul 1, 2022
I think every girl should own and use a Anderson Rocketech in their young softball career.....bats, bat weights, drops, and bat materials all becomes very clear for future bat purchases!! And said girl just might be a beast that Dad had no clue about?

Here's some expensive advice, get her into a -10 as soon as possible! Weight is more important than length at early ages, it was to us anyway.

Did you say what age and size your DD was?
My DD is 7, just shy of 4' and around 46 lbs.

I've upgraded bats fairly aggressively for her but she has responded well. She is currently swinging a balanced 28/16 well, but was using that tiny 24/14 pink bat a year ago when she started playing.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My DD is 7, just shy of 4' and around 46 lbs.

I've upgraded bats fairly aggressively for her but she has responded well. She is currently swinging a balanced 28/16 well, but was using that tiny 24/14 pink bat a year ago when she started playing.

Yeah my terrible Rocketech joke doesn’t apply here! 😉 At 7 and 46 lbs. bat speed, timing, and finishing her swing are her biggest weapons, I’d stay light for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles