Monday's "Rec Play of the Day"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
The original poster left out some details, specifically how many outs there was at the time. If there were one or two outs I would have walked her. You at least have to give your girls a chance to win don't you? Perhaps this is some unwritten rule I am unaware of.

I know when I played little league baseball we used this tactic all the without prompting from the coach.

Just trying to educate myself....

Mar 31, 2012
Oh jeez "Gunner", you completely got me.

A perfect flame and I was so torqued off over the whole thing and I didn't even realize I was being flamed although it was right there in front of me.

The ScreenName, the number of posts, the pitch-perfect language of the post.

Touche, "GunnerShotgun", Touche.

May 17, 2012
Not sure what you are referring to HornetsCoach.

I actually was just interested in the comments on this subject. I am the only coach that will intentionally walk someone in our (very competitive) rec league in specific situations. Now you guys have me paranoid that I am some sort of asshole.

I am old, but not too old to change my ways. I am just trying to teach my girls the right way...

May 21, 2012
Oh wow - I didn't know that it is illegal to purposely walk a batter... My daughter was accused of walking a rec teams best batter. She would never even think of walking a batter. Her goal is to strike the kid out - hit corners - throw change-ups... She was honestly just having a bad game and couldn't find the strike zone without putting it in the no pitch zone. Now I understand why the other coach was flipping out... thankfully, another coach knows her ability and stated she was honestly just having a bad game. Besides, the one pitch she did throw that was a strike, she fouled out into right field... Obviously, she couldn't get around her anyway. But whatever... It still doesn't make up for the kids taunting our players. I give the ump credit for calling them out on it as well.

Jun 22, 2008
Oh wow - I didn't know that it is illegal to purposely walk a batter...

Unless the rec league has some rule against it, it is not illegal to purposely walk a batter. What is illegal is to purposely drop, bounce or roll the ball to the plate to keep the batter from hitting it. Pitches must be delivered legally, that doesnt mean they have to be over the plate, just means the pitcher cant do things mentioned.

May 21, 2012
Oh - thank you for clarifying... I'm kinda new at this being a softball mom thing... My DD is only 11 and has been pitching for 2 years now. When the coach contacted our league president for my DD purposely walking his best batter, I thought he was crazy for even accusing her of that... After I started reading, I thought maybe he wasn't so crazy after all. But after you have now clarified, I'm certain he is completely off his rocker!!! Hopefully we play that team again in the championships and my DD will have a better game. I'll feel much better after she strikes his best hitter out. The team wasn't all that!!! We tied and that's only because my DD was off that night. She's allowed to have one off night.. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321