Mitt---Ball bouncing out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Not all catcher's mitts are equal... just because two mitts are both 32", they maybe be very different. Some have shallow pockets, and some have deeper pockets. The shallower mitts are probably not good for younger catchers.

My dd used to have this problem too. We figured out that it was how she was holding the mitt to receive the pitch. Once she changed that, the problem went away.

And just to rule it out (and I only ask because i've seen other young softball catchers using them), your daughter is using a "SOFTBALL" catcher's mitt, and not a baseball catcher's mitt, right?

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Mink Oil is a good conditioner for the inside of mitts. It provides a little bit of "stick" in the mitt. Or you could use a little bit of Pine Tar with some rosin on it. Rub it in until the tackiness is where you'd like it. Don't over do it!

Dec 18, 2010
DD has very small hands and finding her a catchers mitt that she didn't have to use both hands (always) to catch a ball was almost impossible. Even looked at a VINCI but rep told me to wait a few years buy her a softer, smaller glove for now. So I bought her a VINCI fielders glove and a $50 catchers mitt for now. I CANNOT wait till she's big enough for the catchers mitt though, after seeing the fielders glove.

We found the Rawlings CCMFPY 32" by chance, DD plays 14U rec and 12U select the rec team had it as a team glove no problems with the 12" ball. As with any glove you want to keep it properly cleaned and oiled, especially a catchers mitt it sees the most action and dirt out of any other position.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
DD has very small hands and finding her a catchers mitt that she didn't have to use both hands (always) to catch a ball was almost impossible. Even looked at a VINCI but rep told me to wait a few years buy her a softer, smaller glove for now. So I bought her a VINCI fielders glove and a $50 catchers mitt for now. I CANNOT wait till she's big enough for the catchers mitt though, after seeing the fielders glove.

We found the Rawlings CCMFPY 32" by chance, DD plays 14U rec and 12U select the rec team had it as a team glove no problems with the 12" ball. As with any glove you want to keep it properly cleaned and oiled, especially a catchers mitt it sees the most action and dirt out of any other position.

Wilson makes an A400 model, that is not super high quality, but is pretty soft, and fits small hands pretty good. I think it's a 31", but works great for smaller and/or younger catchers. They were discontinued recently, but there are still some out there. We bought one for another girl, and got it for $25 from justballgloves.com , they did a price match.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish