Mind games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
She let them have it. Like you said....she has some valid points.

But did basically call out her team with “we can’t rely simply on smashing home runs”.......haha

I did appreciate the PAC-12 comments as well.

Jun 8, 2016
She let them have it. Like you said....she has some valid points.

But did basically call out her team with “we can’t rely simply on smashing home runs”.......haha

I did appreciate the PAC-12 comments as well.
She has been around a long time..she knows what buttons she needs to push for her team. There is also a reason she moved Coleman to the leadoff spot during the Bedlam series and hasn't been playing Alo in the field nearly as much the last few weeks.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I'd say she raises some good questions, but words like travesty are too strong. The Pac 12 didn't demonstrate anything last weekend to justify Gasso's strong support. ASU failed to win their home regional, and Arizona got through but lost a game to the SEC's 8th-place team. Oregon lost to Texas State. Stanford lost to SD State.

She points to OU's #4 RPI ranking. RPI sucks. There are far better computer models. The Massey Ratings have OU at #1. I agree that UCLA had a strong case for the #1 seed, and I've posted here that OU is getting too much credit to this point, but it's certainly not a bad opinion to think OU deserved the #1 seed.

Also agree that she's pushing buttons. She's making sure her team knows that nobody in the tournament is giving OU anything, and she's playing the populist to all those who aren't happy with their seed or who don't like the NCAA, and that's always a lot of people.

Jun 8, 2016
I'd say she raises some good questions, but words like travesty are too strong. The Pac 12 didn't demonstrate anything last weekend to justify Gasso's strong support. ASU failed to win their home regional, and Arizona got through but lost a game to the SEC's 8th-place team. Oregon lost to Texas State. Stanford lost to SD State.

She points to OU's #4 RPI ranking. RPI sucks. There are far better computer models. The Massey Ratings have OU at #1. I agree that UCLA had a strong case for the #1 seed, and I've posted here that OU is getting too much credit to this point, but it's certainly not a bad opinion to think OU deserved the #1 seed.

Also agree that she's pushing buttons. She's making sure her team knows that nobody in the tournament is giving OU anything, and she's playing the populist to all those who aren't happy with their seed or who don't like the NCAA, and that's always a lot of people.
After they beat WSU the 1st time in Regionals, she played them up (saying they deserved better in their seeding,etc,etc). This is straight out of the Bill Belichick playbook. In their heyday, the Pats could be playing a team which hadn't won a game all year and he would talk about them like they were the 85/86 Bears...

May 29, 2019

I think your assessment is spot on.

May 29, 2019
Heck, it's Monday morning so let's say some things controversial :ROFLMAO:

Oklahoma is the best team right now.
The SEC is the strongest conference overall, and has been for years.
The Pac-12 are a bunch of crybabies.
The Big 10 overall is overrated; Michigan will always be strong, Minnesota and Northwestern are hit or miss, but the rest of the conference is "blah".
I think this could be Alabama's year to win it all.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
While there is a lot of truth in what she said, I think Patty is making sure her team knows they aren’t going to be able to just show up and they will get the trophy 😂

That's probably her #1 concern. A close second is likely the understanding that OU's bats must remain effective and the defense has to make plays. OU's pitching certainly doesn't suck, but it's not likely to carry them like it did in recent years. The starters got touched up a bit by OSU and Wichita, and the most reliable pitcher right now is a freshman reliever.

After they beat WSU the 1st time in Regionals, she played them up (saying they deserved better in their seeding,etc,etc). This is straight out of the Bill Belichick playbook. In their heyday, the Pats could be playing a team which hadn't won a game all year and he would talk about them like they were the 85/86 Bears...

100% correct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06