Miguel Cabreras Ridiculous Plate Coverage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2012
Frame by frame shows he is turning his torso and hips with the arms maintaining the 'hitters box'. Not sure throwing the barrel is the best description for me. It appears the bat head is guided on plane and the large axial muscles not the tiny hand and wrist muscles are creating the force. The follow through extension which clouds the perception in fast motion has been nicely eliminated from the gif.

Oct 25, 2009
SBP, on throwing it. Is it so fluid like that neither hand (Nor Shoulder) is doing the leading but working in unison to "Throw The Barrel"?

"Fluid like" doesn't seem to fit. It's more like a bullet being fired. Even that description seems a little short.

Oct 25, 2009
Frame by frame shows he is turning his torso and hips with the arms maintaining the 'hitters box'. Not sure throwing the barrel is the best description for me. It appears the bat head is guided on plane and the large axial muscles not the tiny hand and wrist muscles are creating the force. The follow through extension which clouds the perception in fast motion has been nicely eliminated from the gif.

I wouldn't underestimate the power that can be generated with the torque of the hands/wrist/forearms and other muscles involved in throwing the barrel. "Guided" gives me the feeling of taking more time. Like comparing a guided missile to a 9mm bullet. Like a guided missile is going to take a while; the bullet is going to be right now.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
miguelcabreracrush070813.jpg

Jul 19, 2012
I wouldn't underestimate the power that can be generated with the torque of the hands/wrist/forearms and other muscles involved in throwing the barrel. "Guided" gives me the feeling of taking more time. Like comparing a guided missile to a 9mm bullet. Like a guided missile is going to take a while; the bullet is going to be right now.

Seriously!?!?!

You are using word semantics to make the point? That comparison is bizarre at best.

Not saying you are wrong. You may be however, getting off the track a bit.

Oct 25, 2009
Seriously!?!?!

You are using word semantics to make the point? That comparison is bizarre at best.

Not saying you are wrong. You may be however, getting off the track a bit.

To me, not any more bizarre than "tiny hand and wrist muscles" when discussing Cabrera.

Let me just say that I picture throwing the barrel as explosive more so than guided.

Dec 19, 2012

I agree. It is mainly the torque (push-pull) of the hips and torso, with a small bit of torque (push-pull) on the bat handle during this phase of the swing.

May 16, 2010

The throwing action is done by extension of the rear forearm simultaneous with ulnar deviation of both wrists. This occurs just after you turn the "hitters box."

The hand action is simply the action shown in this video, except that the action is turned sideways, by changing the shoulder angle;

May 16, 2010

Here is a more detailed explanation;

Here's what the above looks like in a real swing;

miggynoturn.gif

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2012
To me, not any more bizarre than "tiny hand and wrist muscles" when discussing Cabrera.

Let me just say that I picture throwing the barrel as explosive more so than guided.

First off, the 'small muscle of the hand and wrist' are physically and anatomically smaller than those of the hips and torso. That just happens to be an anatomical fact. The intrinsic muscles within the hand are actually very small upon dissection and examination. They actually mimic the size of the Swedish fish candy in a good sized adult male.

The muscle of the forearm are noticeably larger and stronger than the intrinsic hand muscles however, they are dwarfed by the larger leg, hip, pelvic and axial trunk musculature.

That aside I still believe 'the turn' to the balls plane is the source of power. the cherry on the top is the 'slashing motion' at the wrist. I guess it would equate to the wrist flick in the overhand throwing motion.