Middle infielders shifting left or right to play right or left handed batters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2011
I help coach high school softball. Some of the players have experience playing baseball, and the middle infielders are in the mindset of shifting to their right for a right-handed batter and shifting to their left for a left-handed batter. I can see middle infielders doing this in baseball where the infield is over twice the size of a softball field, but I don't think it's a good idea in softball - leaves some gaping holes. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
I coach 10u and I absolutely shift my infield and outfield, but more importantly I base it on my pitcher and the opposing hitter.

This past season we had two pitchers. One that pitched fast and one that was average. I knew that with our fast pitcher I could shift everyone to go away. With our 2nd pitcher I had to play everyone in a regular position. I also like to do the score book so I can look for tendencies on hitters. My DD always hits to the right side, but her teammate who is the smallest on the team always pulls the ball over the 3rd base side even against the fastest pitchers.

Few weeks ago I went to a 14u friendly and one of the teams always brought their infield towards the mound so they could see what the signs were from the catcher. Hopefully their pitcher has good control and can hit her spots.

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi