Mechanics Feedback Amanda 12yrs old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
Can you guys give me some feedback on my 12 yr old mechanics. She throws 49-51 mph and she can locate the fastball and has very good change.

She had a problem with the lean forward and we have been working on that. I also realize the glove is going to the left but she brings it back into her body at release. Is that OK or should we work more on it? We are now working on pushing over the toe and not use that back drag foot like a plow.

Suggestions???

old mechanics
YouTube - Amanda Pitching

New mechanics
YouTube - PA250123
YouTube - PA250127
YouTube - PA250133

Jun 20, 2008
One glaring thing I see is that she is not bringing her back foot up. She leaves it back. She needs to push it all the way up and finish.

Jul 14, 2008
Not bad Dan.....

Watch her "old" clip....and see how she CASUALLY brings her back leg forward after the release with a small step slightly ahead of her plant foot......

Very good way to help instill the feeling of her rear leg finishing........

GET HER DOING THAT AGAIN........:D

Can you guys give me some feedback on my 12 yr old mechanics. She throws 49-51 mph and she can locate the fastball and has very good change.

She had a problem with the lean forward and we have been working on that. I also realize the glove is going to the left but she brings it back into her body at release. Is that OK or should we work more on it? We are now working on pushing over the toe and not use that back drag foot like a plow.

Suggestions???

old mechanics
YouTube - Amanda Pitching

New mechanics
YouTube - PA250123
YouTube - PA250127
YouTube - PA250133

R

RayR

One thing my daughter has done that has increased her arm speed (and thus pitch speed) is be more agressive with the rear leg.

She thinks "Out and In"

During the leap she turns her rear knee out (to 3B) and before toe touch turns it back in (to home)

She was dragging the back leg or trying to use her hips - neither one produced the arm speed this rear leg move has.

What you need to watch for is replanting if she doesn't rotate the rear knee forward by the time she gets her stride foot down

AScarborough3.gif

People will mistake this for hip action - it is not.

Attachments

• Kenzy Double1.JPG
    Kenzy Double1.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 75

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
MTS is making a good point about the leg drive. WARNING: , MTS's DD is throwing a curve-drop in the left side frame and the bottom right frame. A curve ball or drop requires more hip action, so you see the hips close earlier. So, don't take these videos to your 11 YOA pitcher and say, "Do this."

Glove hand You should work more on the glove. Attached is a screen capture of Osterman. I've got the outlined in red. Notice that the glove is generally in line with the target. I've also attached a shot of your DD. Your DD is pointing to 1B with her glove. This is causing your DD to prematurely close her upper body.

Take a look at MTS's DD in the bottom right frame. Does she ever stick the glove straight out to 1B? No, she does not, and she is *TRYING* to close hard in order to get the ball to move. Your DD is simply trying to throw the ball straight and she is putting all kinds of torque on her body because of her glove.

R

RayR

Take a look at MTS's DD

Not my DD - it's Amanda Scarborough from Tex A&M

Here is a 56 mph clip

Scarborough56mph.gif

And 70 mph

Scarborough70mph.gif

I would teach it and work out the degrees of action for different pitches if that's what you think is needed.

Jul 21, 2008
I like the drill MTS talks about with get the knee out and then get the knee in. Almost like hitting Mechanics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom