Maybe the toughest game I've coached from a personal level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2012
Bracket play, DD (#2 pitcher) in the circle--didn't have it, and made a costly throwing error on a come-backer that led to a 6 run first in a rain-shortened 1 hr drop dead game. Finally had to pull her to stop the bleeding. Didn't give up any more, ended up losing 6-1. DD is absolutely crushed both during and after the game--"I let the team down". I really have no words for the team after the loss other than, "I know it wasn't our best effort out there today, so we move on from it." Team as a whole didn't play poorly, other than we couldn't string together many hits, but they were probably pressing after digging that big of a hole to get out of in the shortened game. DD is in tears during the talk. I sat with one of the other coaches for a few minutes, and then by myself for a few before making my way back to the truck to head home. She's still a mess by the truck, and it took a lot of hugs and talking to get her calmed down. I know there will be games like this. She knows there will be games like this. She doesn't pitch for the HS team, hasn't really pitched much in the last couple years, but we put this team together knowing she could be our #2 and give us decent outings probably 6 or 7 times out of 10--which she does. This was just one of the other 3-4, and the throwing error only made it worse. I came home to read about the girl whose sister was killed in the auto accident, so things were put into perspective in a hurry. Still...this was a tough game to swallow and a really tough one to separate Coach / Dad duties. I was just about a mess because it's tough to watch your own kid struggle and know that she's placing the blame on herself. Not really looking for advice...although I'll take it. Just needed to vent to others who have probably been in similar situations.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
One of the D1 pitchers was motivated in the offseason by a similar situation in her younger years.

Sucks it happens, but you've probably been on the receiving end of a team falling apart, and you know...it happens. I hope your DD can hold her chin up, and be proud of her effort. In the end, you arrived home safe to your family, others weren't so lucky today.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
I think I have lived this game with DD: #2 pitcher, gave up 6 in first inning, team lost 6-1.......
Only thing I could say was..... this is something every pitcher goes through and there is something to learn from it. I usually ask her (when someone goes wrong)...did anyone die from this? She will say no and that helps put it into perspective. Doesn't stop the "sting".

I feel for you and your DD..... but Did anyone die from this?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Had a tough weekend as well.
Bracket play, game tied 3-3, extra innings, international tie breaker rules in play, bottom of the 9th, they have runners on 2 & 3 with two outs. Pitcher throws an inside drop ball on a full count, batter gets jammed up and hits a weak dribbler to ss, perfect throw to 1 clips off her glove. Game over 4-3
First baseman is now in tears and feels responsible for the loss. I reminded the team that if they hadnt left 5 runners on base and committed those 3 errors or eliminated those 4 strike outs... we wouldn't even be in this predicament to start with. And a bad day at the ball park beats a good day at work or school!

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Dschrieb ... these things are going to happen to everyone at some point, but more often to pitchers, so unfortunately they have to get over it and come back next time more determined than ever. Make sure the next time she wins one for the team, that she gets the praise she deserves. In this particular game, your team only scored one run and that's certainly not her fault ... I don't buy into the "trying to dig themselves out of a hole" excuse. One run just isn't going to win very many games. Not pointing fingers at anyone is part of being on a team ... win as a team, lose as a team ...

Jun 7, 2013
This past weekend we suffered two of our most disappointing losses all year at an important tournament. Good pitching efforts were invalided by poor defensive play and sub-optimal hitting. This is life, everyone! No one needs to bear the burden of a loss by themselves. My philosophy, we are all out on that field trying our best and no one needs to be berated if/when they make a mistake. I believe that if you did your best and played the game fairly, you can always walk off that field with your head held off regardless of the result.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One of my long time students (I hadn't seen in 9 months.) Pitched and lost on Tues., threw 110 pitches + warm ups on Thurs. (I was there). Then, melted into a crying heap giving up 12 runs, on Sat. She has A LOT of family business going on and her dad in attendance for the first time ever. It was just too big of load for an 11 year old.

Her coach is a reluctant volunteer, so he didn't realize that she couldn't pitch and pitch and pitch (to the same opponent), without getting shelled in the 3rd outing.

We all learned something from this.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
She needs to look at this as a learning experience. Since you mentioned high school, I'm assuming she'd in at least 14u. Pitchers have to be mentally tough. Lord knows I've witnessed DD in some tough spots. She hasn't had a melt down yet, but I just tell her that someday's, you just don't have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi