many flavors of the look back rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I agree and can think of two variations.

The rule can either be interpreted the right way or the wrong way!

The strike zone is well defined in the rule book too, but I know a lot of umpires who 'interpret' it the wrong way!........the 'gotcha' is that the umpire can say it was a 'judgement call' on whether the runner proceeded properly or whether or not the pitcher made a defensive move!

Jun 22, 2010
You may not like it, but those things ARE judgment calls. That's why we get the big bucks. ;)

What exactly do you think the umpire's going to say if you ask him before the game? Most are not going to hold a rules clinic; they'll just say "We'll apply the rules as written, JAD."

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The strike zone is well defined in the rule book too, but I know a lot of umpires who 'interpret' it the wrong way

Ha! That's what you think! :D And I don't disagree, but it isn't as bad as many make it out to be.

Unless someone has attended few dozen clinics and schools, they really cannot appreciate how umpires are instructed/taught to handle strike zones.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
What is there to interpret? Either the runner stopped, reversed or did not proceed when required.

While I believe the rule to be unnecessary, I think the rule is straight forward. The issue is that people try to force the rule as a strategy when it was meant to be nothing more than a game-control tool.

From what I have witnessed...
The Definition of "Immediately"
The Definition of "Pitcher Making a Play on the runner"

I am not saying this is right just saying where I have seen inconsistencies in the rule.
As always I am okay if this rule goes away and the umpire merely calls time when
he determines it over to keep the game on line. Rather than punish a runner merely call time
and keep the game moving.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
From what I have witnessed...
The Definition of "Immediately"
The Definition of "Pitcher Making a Play on the runner"

I am not saying this is right just saying where I have seen inconsistencies in the rule.
As always I am okay if this rule goes away and the umpire merely calls time when
he determines it over to keep the game on line. Rather than punish a runner merely call time
and keep the game moving.

There you go. Something I have been proposing for a few years now and the supposed traditionalists go bananas. The probem is that not one of them know why. Really, absolutely lost for cause to their reaction to such a change other then "fastpitch is a live ball game" which is nonsense.

Two years ago, there was a proposed change in ASA to just make the action on a LBR violation simply a "dead ball" and return runners to the last base touched. The proposal failed by consensus in all committees in which it was addressed. Many were confused as to why anyone would want to "change the game". Of course, these are people who only know what is in front of them now and believe that is the way it has been since Moses threw out the first tablet.

The LBR was a game-control rule never meant to be turned into a game strategy or gotcha rule. This rule provides no additional value to the game and simply provides a false image to satisfy a perception that is no more real than an honest politician.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
The LBR was a game-control rule never meant to be turned into a game strategy or gotcha rule. This rule provides no additional value to the game and simply provides a false image to satisfy a perception that is no more real than an honest politician.

MTR, agree fully with all the above you posted, as well as to add that the LBR is perhaps one of the most misunderstood, over interpreted rules out there. The written rule seems quite easy to understand, but it sure does take on different forms depending on which coach/player/umpire your talking to.

Last year I called about 125 games, I can remember calling LBR 3 times, maybe 4. I was probably asked to call it about 20 times though. Some of the reasons for it were fantastic and I'll save for another post later when we talk about funny umpire stories. :)

Either way, coaches try to utilize it as a tool just as you mention, and it's not designed for that in the least.

Just my thoughts.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd