Many do we need?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
How many do we need?

We r on a TB team. What is a good number of pitchers to have on a team? We had four before and that was to many. We now have 2. Most of the pitcher that we have had were good. They could b starting pitchers on other teams.

Thanks!

I should have mention we will b 2nd yr 14 u.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
What age? Our 10U team has 3 solid pitchers and I think any more would not be good. But 2 might be dangerous too - if one is sick or hurt you're in trouble. We have one or two more in lessons, but who aren't good enough to pitch in games yet. In a pinch they could probably fill in in a pool game or something but they aren't in the regular pitching rotation; they are position players for now.

Jun 18, 2010
My ideal mix is to have two Aces and one additional innings eater.... The two Aces share the heavy lifting and the third is usually a former pitcher turned position player who can help when short handed, or in relief.

Sep 29, 2014
what age group are we talking about?

Once you get to 14U or better the ace probably expects at least half the time and since winning starts becoming a priority coach want their ace pitching over half the time too.

Having three is probably optimal with #2 getting 30% (spot start with the expectation she can go in if #1 is struggling) and #3 getting 15% (mop up and pool play)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
2 is not enough, I would suggest having at least 3. A lot of teams will carry a 4th if one or two of them can play other positions and have good bats. It is hard to keep the parents of 4 "pitch and sit" players happy. They end up pitching @ 25% and sitting @ 75%. If you are a marquee team that offers recruiting value parents and players are a lot more tolerant of sitting.....

Jun 12, 2015
2 is not enough, I would suggest having at least 3. A lot of teams will carry a 4th if one or two of them can play other positions and have good bats. It is hard to keep the parents of 4 "pitch and sit" players happy. They end up pitching @ 25% and sitting @ 75%. If you are a marquee team that offers recruiting value parents and players are a lot more tolerant of sitting.....

I'd definitely be way less happy about my #3 pitcher if she had to sit when not pitching. Seems like in my age group the pitchers are typically the ace athletes too. Definitely the case on our team; our 3 pitchers rotate at 1B, 3B, and SS. But as they get older that seems to change a good bit as the pitchers get more specialized and drop other positions. It's such an interesting journey.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
At least 3, depends on your schedule and the types of event. To go deep into an ASA event
you need 3 solid arms and 1 inning eater. On the down side; all good pitchers want the ball
50%+ of innings. If you have 3 who want 50% 3 x 50% = 150 UH OH Now where to go?
If you only carry 2 and one goes down you can write the season off. Good Luck......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1