Making the move from a communtiy based travel team to a competitive team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
What does your daughter want to do? You may think she needs to move, but at 10, most girls just want to be with friends and have fun. If it is her decision and desire, have at it, but if it is yours, you are in for heartache.

If she wants to stay she can still get better with lessons. Leaving her friends and comfort zone at 10 could just drive her away. I am not saying you are wrong, just don't make the mistake of projecting your wants and desires onto her.

The fact that you are thinking "college" at age 10 really makes me uneasy. According to NCAA less than 1% of ANY high school athlete gets any scholarship. That includes anything from golf to football and anything from $300 towards book to a full ride. Just be careful.

GG

Thanks for your feedback, GG. I know it is too early to really worry about whether or not she's a college softball player. The gist of why I started this thread comes from me wondering if what happens now at the 10u/12u level plays a part in what happens when she's 16 when college might be a possibility. Will she miss the opportunity to play in college because she didn't do something now? I don't believe that to be the case, but there are more knowledgeable people on here than I am.

Aug 20, 2013
Enjoy the now.

You could do everything right and she could still just decide eh...I am done. I have seen it and it is heartbreaking. Dad coaching TB team, tons of money spent, girl is a star at shortstop and hits it out of park. Hits 9th grade and decides she is done with the game.

If you constantly worry about tomorrow, you can't enjoy today. So my point is, if this is what your daughter wants to do then go, but if she is enjoying where she is and is happy stay. The last thing you can motivate in this world is a miserable kid.

Best of luck!
-GG

Jul 2, 2013
Find an 'A' level travel team to play on, as soon as you can.

Find the team among these your DD likes the most.

It is important to hit against the best pitchers, always.

Once or if you can hit really well against the 'A' level pitchers your age, move up, but stay at 'A' level.

Playing for a super org. is next to get her recruited. But don't hang your hat on a super org. It is expensive, and if your player is good enough, even if she is just playing against the super org. she will get noticed.

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
There has been A LOT of mention about being behind so I will play "devil's advocate" here. Less than 1-2% of our players will play ball on full ride athletic scholarship in College. Just a reminder of reality. That said, what are you playing for? If HS is the pinnacle for most of our DD's then strive to be as good as possible and work your but off for that. I think when you focus on something more in the realm of reality, something bigger could come out of the work ethic developed and training over time. I still subscribe to the thinking that Hard Work will eventually out work Talent (especially if talent does not work hard). In the end, no coach, no organization and no team will make the goals happen. You and your player will. Together your work, your efforts will make the difference. So if you worry about being behind, look at what you guys are doing more than at what team you are on right now. Sure, a team can open doors. But let's not forget, there are still politics and other things involved in the org teams that don;t always make "greener" than a solidly coached team from ANYWHERE.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd