Making The Best of Circumstances

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
When we work with catchers, we work drills to get them used to thinking on their feet. There is a set plan to handle passed balls, tags at the plate, blocking down the middle, or to the side... (The list goes on) Often something unexpected happens, the ball takes a weird bounce, the throw in is way off, your body doesn't move exactly how you want it too... (This list goes on too) So we work with our catchers to expect the unexpected, stay calm in the midst of kaos.... The catcher in this video does just that. Though the ball got past her, she stayed with it, stayed calm and found a way to make the out...

[video=youtube_share;7VttUUGb-Sw]http://youtu.be/7VttUUGb-Sw[/video]

Chaz @ ACC

Jun 7, 2012
When we work with catchers, we work drills to get them used to thinking on their feet. There is a set plan to handle passed balls, tags at the plate, blocking down the middle, or to the side... (The list goes on) Often something unexpected happens, the ball takes a weird bounce, the throw in is way off, your body doesn't move exactly how you want it too... (This list goes on too) So we work with our catchers to expect the unexpected, stay calm in the midst of kaos.... The catcher in this video does just that. Though the ball got past her, she stayed with it, stayed calm and found a way to make the out...

[video=youtube_share;7VttUUGb-Sw]http://youtu.be/7VttUUGb-Sw[/video]

Chaz @ ACC

Your C had great recovery and a super solid throw down to 3rd. Does she usually kick her feet straight back when blocking in the dirt? If not, she should. This will create a little space and allow her to use her chest protector to absorb the ball in the dirt. I always tell my catchers there is an invisible glass window in front of their catcher's mask to ensure they don't just roll the knees forward and take away that vital space needed to absorb the ball in the dirt. Kick back and absorb. She has a really nice release on her throw, and yes she looks calm, cool, and collected.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Yep, She knows how to block and does a great job dropping straight down and letting the pitch die into her chest protector. She has even learned that she can drop and block in her no runner on stance.... She never misses.... At lessons. She is still transitioning to using this technique in game situations. This can take many months and seeing a lot of pitches to be consistent in the heat of a game. It's a progression that takes time and practice. Like this catcher...

Your C had great recovery and a super solid throw down to 3rd. Does she usually kick her feet straight back when blocking in the dirt? If not, she should. This will create a little space and allow her to use her chest protector to absorb the ball in the dirt. I always tell my catchers there is an invisible glass window in front of their catcher's mask to ensure they don't just roll the knees forward and take away that vital space needed to absorb the ball in the dirt. Kick back and absorb. She has a really nice release on her throw, and yes she looks calm, cool, and collected.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
When we work with catchers, we work drills to get them used to thinking on their feet.

Like it... It must be very frustrating being able to convey this catching info so concisely , but teaching unnecessary skills. My DD plays pitcher/catcher/ss. When she catches, she only uses her fielding glove, and catches balls in the dirt like a SS, because most of the stuff she gets is way high, and she has to be able to do a centers jump, or dive to the left 80% of the time.

I let her think on her feet, and she says, "They can't pitch" so if they put in a pitcher that can't pitch, why should she learn to block. She uses the time as grounder practice. Not a way to earn popularity contest, but they can't find a better catcher. Also, she gives the poor pitcher some catching lessons, they are going to be needing, like running to the front of the circle to get the ball back, so they don't get a full throw from her.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Like it... It must be very frustrating being able to convey this catching info so concisely , but teaching unnecessary skills.

chazbz1

Hey just wanting to clarify what I was trying to say. I really like your stuff. I see that you are bridging the gap for us here on the forum. The videos really make it clear, and the fact that you can go back a couple years+ shows me that you have been on to it for some time. Going to have DD watch your stuff, as she enjoying keeping her eye on what I see & say on here, and Mom.

Where I got side tracked is thinking about the aspect of DD thinking on her own, I was trying to tell you how she is. She has been a spot pitcher all along, and done very well. But has to face everyone saying she's not throwing it hard enough. So she makes it clear, when you can't throw overhand hard enough, or hit can't the broad side of a barn. If she has to dig them out, she will lets the pitcher know in her throw back.

She is mostly a Pitcher by trade, and only catches, because DD, don't want to give up the games to HBP & Walks. She loves throwing out sealers, by is likewise frustrated by SS & 2nd, missing tags.

I wish all pitching coaching coaches used your same quality of teaching tools...With the real nice videos. Thankz again !!!

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Yep, She knows how to block and does a great job dropping straight down and letting the pitch die into her chest protector. She has even learned that she can drop and block in her no runner on stance.... She never misses.... At lessons. She is still transitioning to using this technique in game situations. This can take many months and seeing a lot of pitches to be consistent in the heat of a game. It's a progression that takes time and practice. Like this catcher...

I just sent your link out to my 12U fall team. In addition to being a visual tool for young athletes, it's great for educating parents and coaches. Thank you for posting this progression. Well done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi