Love for the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2013
As our local player agent for 13-16 year old girls in our rec league, I really had no idea what to expect as far as talent in the league, or attitude of players, or even whether they still really wanted to play this game we all love. Well, after watching them assess today for potential coaches, I have to say I'm so glad I did this. The girls/young women who tried out all know the score, they are in their teens and know many whom they have played with have moved on to travel ball. But I saw a group of girls who have skills, yes some have flaws in their game but when you look for what they do right as opposed to what they don't do well, you can see they got game. More importantly, I saw a group who looked like they were having a great time, who really just want to enjoy the game, and who truly get why some of us are still playing in our mid 40's and above. They may not all be great, but I'll never say a bad word about any of them, I just love the way the play the game, and the fact they love the game.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
My town has done nothing to promote softball beyond age 12. If you're 13 and don't want to play travel ball all summer long, you get about a 12-game school season, and that's it.

Not rec but I have decided that when I retire from ultra-competitive fastpitch coaching (which will be soon), I am going to coach an 18U team comprised of girls who know they will not play in college and are only playing because they love the game. My final couple of years in the dugout will be with such a team, if one will have me.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
I have been giving free pitching lessons to my local league every Saturday. The 14u team is comprised of all 1st year players. They only had one girl come to my lessons.

I'm keeping it simple for these girls, basically teaching them to toss, and after last week she complained so much about how hard it was I didn't think she'd be back. But she came back this week and it was little easier for her.

I wanted to go help her team after my practices but they were done by the time I was done, but there was a 12u team there. Most of them were also 1st year players, so asked the coach if I could pop in. None of these girls are going on to travel ball nor high school ball from what I could tell, but they were fighting the good fight.

I pulled each one off to the side, gave them some throwing drills, did a round of bunting and education (only 2 knew what a bunt was). And played a pop up game.
I probably had more fun than they did. I really miss coaching and the same for me about Little Angels said, that's where you're going to find me when I'm too old. I'll be the asst coach on a 12-14u league team and working with the league pitchers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi