Loose vs Tight Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
I like this coach, and I like a lot of what he says. But the terms he uses can be misconstrued, IMO. And I worry a lot about that as we talk about hitting online.

I LOVE the idea of taking out slack. That's critical.

I wouldn't personally use the terms loose vs. tight swings. I'd use something like preset-stretch 'vs,' flow-into-stretch. Why? Because you can have what many would think of as a 'loose' swing with big movements that doesn't remove slack/create stretch. It just creates a bunch of floppy extra movements. And that's as bad as having an old-school static-trigger-type swing.

Another way of saying it: I don't think a leg kick and a barrel tip are good in and of themselves. I think a leg kick and barrel tip that creates usable stretch (and a timing window as a valuable bonus) is not just a good but great thing. Hope that makes sense.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I like this coach, and I like a lot of what he says. But the terms he uses can be misconstrued, IMO. And I worry a lot about that as we talk about hitting online.

I wouldn't personally use the terms loose vs. tight swings. I'd use something like preset-stretch 'vs,' flow-into-stretch. Why? Because you can have what many would think of as a 'loose' swing with big movements that doesn't remove slack/create stretch. It just creates a bunch of floppy extra movements. And that's as bad as having an old-school static-trigger-type swing.

Another way of saying it: I don't think a leg kick and a barrel tip are good in and of themselves. I think a leg kick and barrel tip that creates usable stretch (and a timing window as a valuable bonus) is not just a good but great thing. Hope that makes sense.
I agree with what your saying.

I look at how he words it from a training perspective too. Part of the goal of training is to get a loose player tighter...and a tighter player looser...and both to activate the posterior chain.

Most female youth learning the game....have the range of motion (ROM)..and have to tighten things up so they can control their body and swing without excessive movement. (my goal). But not all...some lack mobility and have to increase their range of motion.

Stretch is usually associated with the stretch shortening cycle (SSC). Many loose youth.... not physically trained or have poor mechanics don't even have a useful SSC. At least I haven't read any research that indicates they do. Where as a tighter player could still get a SSC response...with less ROM. Talking about youth learning here...not the pro's.

Edit: I like the preset and flow into stretch analogy.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013

Sound like he's saying that hitters are different and what works for one may not work for another. But taking the slack out of the swing is a must, as is swinging from your back side and not your front side.
As far as old school trigger type swing, you must be talking about new-old school and not the Shoeless Joe, Babe Ruth, Mel Ott....old school.

Sep 17, 2009
Sound like he's saying that hitters are different and what works for one may not work for another. But taking the slack out of the swing is a must, as is swinging from your back side and not your front side.
As far as old school trigger type swing, you must be talking about new-old school and not the Shoeless Joe, Babe Ruth, Mel Ott....old school.
...As far as old school trigger type swing --- old-school FASTPITCH swing :)

Jul 29, 2013
...As far as old school trigger type swing --- old-school FASTPITCH swing :)
Got it. My daughter swung like Ruth, started with her feet together and then took a big stride. Coaches were scared she'd never catch up to fast pitch. Then they saw her hit and marveled at how fast her hands were and the power she generated. Lol!
Carlton saw her and asked if she knew Tewksbary.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I would say that applies perfectly!
I haven't seen his evaluation of the categories he mentions. If you have a link please post it.

I do evaluations so I know what I am dealing with ahead of time as far as physicality. Use to think the most difficult was cross crawl pattern problems..then thought it was glute amensia till I had a girl that was double jointed seemingly everywhere. She was off the scale of looseness....like a baby gazel. If she didn't fall down running to first...she might accidently run into the bag...or the first baseman or first base coach...you just never knew which! :)

Oct 2, 2017
I would say that applies perfectly!
I haven't seen his evaluation of the categories he mentions. If you have a link please post it.

I do evaluations so I know what I am dealing with ahead of time as far as physicality. Use to think the most difficult was cross crawl pattern problems..then thought it was glute amensia till I had a girl that was double jointed seemingly everywhere. She was off the scale of looseness....like a baby gazel. If she didn't fall down running to first...she might accidently run into the bag...or the first baseman or first base coach...you just never knew which! :)

Could not find anything other than their website, which I believe on the YouTube channel you can see the different movement patterns. http://www.elitebaseballtraining.com/biotech-cage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13