'Looking Large' in the circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
I think if you want to sneaky pitch, it's okay. If that's the kind of pitcher you want to be and to be known as.

My own DD was I guess technically was a sneaky pitcher. She threw a change-up, which is a trick pitch. She also threw off-speed breaking pitches to fool the hitters. She was a quick pitcher.

I think all that other stuff may actually distract the pitcher more than the hitter.

I can't imagine standing on the rubber and then thinking about what pitch you're throwing, then what speed you're throwing it, then should I puff out my chest, flap my arms, scream, submarine it, hold it for 10 seconds, hold it for 5 seconds, hold it for 2 seconds?

But hey, if it works for you.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I have heard this "stealing" from people thing before about pitching coaches and we have many around my area that I have said that about. But you know, the people that are paying them like what they are getting and are happy to pay. What some of these guys give to their students as a product is garbage. But the parents, travel ball coaches and kids swear by them. So I guess they are getting what they paid for, satisfaction. What they aren't getting is proper instruction. That's why in my area very few, if any, pitchers come out of here. To find them for college you must go out of area.

Feb 7, 2013
Hal is a good guy and for you to be so disrespectful on a public forum is just flat out rude!!!
He always has great opinions whether you agree or not. Don't be an internet bully...
CHECK YOURSELF!!:p

This is directed straight to you LEFT HOOK!! I will say a prayer for you today.

The problem I see with Hal is not only is his teachings mostly nonsense and counter-productive, when the more qualified and experienced "experts" on this site challenge him and call his bluff he attacks them instead of trying to actually educate himself and learn from them like all of the best pitching instructors and teachers of the game do.

I used to get some value out of Hal's older posts, but lately he has been talking a lot of nonsense and I completely lost any respect for his advice when he said "I saw a pitched ball stop in mid air for several seconds and change directions"! How can one possibly respect a pitching instructor that would say something like this? Frankly, I just find the whole situation quite sad....

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal is harmless. The stuff he posts is amusing and I would suspect that on occasion it would work as a distraction and get people out. But as most people know, tricks are tricks and if you put too much into them you end up not focusing on what really gets batters out and that is quality pitches. People are going to swear by him and I suspect that a lot of what he does is probably very good. But the off the wall stuff irritates some folks and that's too bad. All you have to do is not respond to what you don't like about his posts.

FP,

If you think what I say and teach irritate some people on this board, that is true, I do just that. But you aint seen nothin till you see how irate batters, parents and coaches get when a pitcher using myu stuff shuts down the strongest hitting teams around.

If I remember correctly, you are from Canada. Some years back I had a 12yo pitcher and her dad fly in for a days training. They had got my book, used a few of the tactics with great success. We refined what she had been using and worked on a few other things. When she was 16, the came back again. She learned a 2nd and 3rd wind up and a few more tactics, then flew back home. She quickly caught the attention of a gal who is considered to be the best pitching coach in Canada. She pitched in several international tournaments and her era was 0.00 for all her international tournaments. SHE DOMINATED IN A HUGE WAY. You can see her Dads statement on my website.

I have had many calls over the years from hitting instructors asking me how can they teach batters to defend against my tactics. I always tell them the same thing, teach them to have the reaction time of Superman or teach them to read the pitcher's mind because there is no other defense that I know of.

Do the things I teach tick off other pitching instructors? You betchum. It really torques their gills when a pitcher using my advice defeats a pitcher they have trained. Then when a student's parent mentions something from my book and asks the instructor to teach it to their kid, the instructor looks uninformed and they dont like that. So, they dont like me.

I can live with that.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The problem I see with Hal is not only is his teachings mostly nonsense and counter-productive, when the more qualified and experienced "experts" on this site challenge him and call his bluff he attacks them instead of trying to actually educate himself and learn from them like all of the best pitching instructors and teachers of the game do.

I used to get some value out of Hal's older posts, but lately he has been talking a lot of nonsense and I completely lost any respect for his advice when he said "I saw a pitched ball stop in mid air for several seconds and change directions"! How can one possibly respect a pitching instructor that would say something like this? Frankly, I just find the whole situation quite sad....

RT,

for quite awhile I was the one being insulted by a few instructirs here, one in particular. Afew months back I got tired of just sitting back and taking the insults, the lies, the misquotes and everything else. So, I started giving a few shots back at them. I didnt insult them, I simply told them what I thought of their mechanics and what part of them I felt was unsafe and why. They went a little ballistic because I had the audacity to say ANYTHING that didnt agree with what they pass off as the best, the safest, etc.

They accuse me of causing aloit of confusion. Thats not it at all. What I say bring questions to them they dont want to answer or confront.

Oh well.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Good pitchers don't need to play games to be fool batters. They don't need to act anything because they do what they need to with the ball.

I dont know anyone that doesnt believe a good change up is a good pitch. Surely you think that as well. You show the batter a fast wind up but deliver a pitch at a slower speed thanb they expect. It really disrupts the hitters timing. I must assume you agree with me on that.

An off speed pitch has the same effect on the hitters, it disrupts their timing. Again, I assume you would agree with that as well.

How do those pitches disrupt the hitters timing? Because the hitters rely and depend on watching the pitcher's motions to help them make the biggest decision a hitter has to make; When to pull that trigger and start their swing.

Now I ask you, if a slow change up and an off-speed pitch is very effective at disrupting a hitters timing, why would anyone believe that a pitcher doing other things couldnt disrupt the hitters timing as well? The tactics I teach are not 'tricks', they are other simple ways to disrupt the hitters timing of the pitcher's motions.

Many on this board, probably everyone will agree that a slow change up and off-speed pitch is a very valuable abd effective weapon in a pitcher's arsenal. BUUUUT, add in anything, even just one single thing other than those two things and all of a sudden that very giid pitcher is a 'Junk baller", a lousy pitcher with a lousy instructor, is a 'Busch league' pitcher, etc, and every other unkind thing you can think of.

Why would anyone want to limit a pitcher to only two ways to disrupt a hitters timing when they could add a few more ways?

Sorry but I have never believed in limiting any student I ever worked with. Many instructors do, but I aint one of em.

Hurry em up or make em wait but NEVER let em know what's comin next.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
FP,

If you think what I say and teach irritate some people on this board, that is true, I do just that. But you aint seen nothin till you see how irate batters, parents and coaches get when a pitcher using myu stuff shuts down the strongest hitting teams around.

If I remember correctly, you are from Canada. Some years back I had a 12yo pitcher and her dad fly in for a days training. They had got my book, used a few of the tactics with great success. We refined what she had been using and worked on a few other things. When she was 16, the came back again. She learned a 2nd and 3rd wind up and a few more tactics, then flew back home. She quickly caught the attention of a gal who is considered to be the best pitching coach in Canada. She pitched in several international tournaments and her era was 0.00 for all her international tournaments. SHE DOMINATED IN A HUGE WAY. You can see her Dads statement on my website.

I have had many calls over the years from hitting instructors asking me how can they teach batters to defend against my tactics. I always tell them the same thing, teach them to have the reaction time of Superman or teach them to read the pitcher's mind because there is no other defense that I know of.

Do the things I teach tick off other pitching instructors? You betchum. It really torques their gills when a pitcher using my advice defeats a pitcher they have trained. Then when a student's parent mentions something from my book and asks the instructor to teach it to their kid, the instructor looks uninformed and they dont like that. So, they dont like me.

I can live with that.

Hal, up here in Canada I don't see anyone who does what you teach. But I guess if it works who am I to pass judgement.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
This is an open forum... debates and disagreements are always welcome. However, direct insults and personal attacks are never acceptable. Let please remember the Golden Rule here folks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff