'Looking Large' in the circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Looking large.

This is a tactic that I taught to students when they used the straight out of the glove into the forward wind up type wind up. Used by a pitcher that is very proficient at changing speeds and has 3 speeds to call on, it is very effective at setting the batter up.
I have to use myself as an example here. I am 6’6” tall and that was also my normal stride length when I pitched. However, when I wanted to ‘Look large’, I would take a noticeably longer stride length than normal, maybe 10 to 12 inches longer in my case. An increase of about a foot is very noticeable to the batter.

I would bring my hands together to start the pitch and then flare both my elbows up and out to the sides very quickly. As I brought the elbows up I would expand my chest and take a full big double lung full of air. That was sort of like I was flapping my wings once AS I started my forward momentum. When my elbows came down and touched my sides, the ball came out of the glove and the arm circle started.

As I was bringing the elbows up, I put a look of great strain on my face, like I was pushing a truck uphill.

Doing these things gives yuou the appearance that you are going to throw the ball faster than the hiotter has ever seen because all these things ARE noticed by the hitters. It is different from your normal pitch.

Now picture your pitcher doing this with her pitch. Do all that with a fast pitch, maybe two. Then do all that and release a slow change up or off-speed.
Then do all that and give them a slow change up. Then do all that and give them a fast one. Always set the batter up for the next pitch and never let em know what’s coming next.
Have fun with it. My students and I certainly did.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hi GG,

dont have any. Hope what I wrote is good enough. You have heard of 'selling the pitch'? This takes that up a notch.

Mar 13, 2010
Good pitchers don't need to play games to be fool batters. They don't need to act anything because they do what they need to with the ball.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Gator girl.....I am no expert when it comes to the art of underhand pitching... But one thing I have learned very quickly is this Hal guy is a complete joke... My advise is do not let him confuse you. You seem to be learning a lot... This is the type of garbage that BM and a few others speak of when they get upset with Hal... good people trying to learn and all his does is wanna sell his goofy book... tell us he pitched in A ball.... share his silly theories about pitching... He will never show you a video or any type of visual because what he teaches doesn't exist at the elite level and that is a fact... He teaches the save thing you could get ANY HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL TEENAGER TO TEACH YOU... Sorry I'd just ignore Hal because he will confuse the heck out of you if you take what others say and what he says and try to make sense of it.... Trust me I was there three months ago. I played at a high level in baseball and i would call 90 percent of what Hall does Bush League... I have learned a lot about the under hand game in a short time by ignoring anything Hal says.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Hey...Left Hook. I disagree with your review of Hal Skinner. We have found him to be an Awesome Asset to our Arsenal of Athleticism & Academia...as "A TB & straight "A's" is our goal....Also I have been able to get Advice directly from the Author. DD loves going to Book Fairs and meeting author's and telling them about one of her treasured Facebook Friends....Coach Hal is how she most respectfully addresses Him. I just call him How... ~PC

<video controls="controls" autoplay="autoplay"loop="loop" width="658" height="450">
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/Video%20Player/Blocking_.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
<span title="No video playback capabilities, please download the video below"></span>
</video>

Last edited:
Hal is a good guy and for you to be so disrespectful on a public forum is just flat out rude!!!
He always has great opinions whether you agree or not. Don't be an internet bully...
CHECK YOURSELF!!:p

This is directed straight to you LEFT HOOK!! I will say a prayer for you today.

Aug 20, 2013
I believe that there is something good that can be taken from all the advice given on this forum. You will get 20 different answers to the same question. I just read all and see what makes the most sense and seems to be the overall opinion and follows what top coaches and players are actually doing. I am very visual and can't read paragraphs and paragraphs of descriptions and put anything together from it. The old saying a picture is worth a 1,000 words is so true.

I have posted a few videos done by the head coaches at LSU because they had great visuals and people have blasted them, so it is hard to really take any critisism on this board seriously when they blast things coming from D1 coaches. I mean these are the teams we'd love to have our kids on one day, but we are blasting them.

Anyway, visuals always help me and they will always help sell something way better than just paragraphs.

Namaste to you all,
GG

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I believe that there is something good that can be taken from all the advice given on this forum. You will get 20 different answers to the same question. I just read all and see what makes the most sense and seems to be the overall opinion and follows what top coaches and players are actually doing. I am very visual and can't read paragraphs and paragraphs of descriptions and put anything together from it. The old saying a picture is worth a 1,000 words is so true.

I have posted a few videos done by the head coaches at LSU because they had great visuals and people have blasted them, so it is hard to really take any critisism on this board seriously when they blast things coming from D1 coaches. I mean these are the teams we'd love to have our kids on one day, but we are blasting them.

Anyway, visuals always help me and they will always help sell something way better than just paragraphs.

Namaste to you all,
GG

Howard Dobson (LSU w Torina) has coached many National Champion and All American pitchers and hitters. Anyone on this board that would trash his coaching is an idiot GG. He travels the world teaching coaches and has earned the respect of thousands. His reputation past and present validates his methods.

And Hal has been a good asset as well on this board. No negativity from him and open to all questions.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Hal is harmless. The stuff he posts is amusing and I would suspect that on occasion it would work as a distraction and get people out. But as most people know, tricks are tricks and if you put too much into them you end up not focusing on what really gets batters out and that is quality pitches. People are going to swear by him and I suspect that a lot of what he does is probably very good. But the off the wall stuff irritates some folks and that's too bad. All you have to do is not respond to what you don't like about his posts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves