Looking for ideas on how to keep a pitching mat from sliding on an indoor turf surface

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2021
We use ours on concrete as well except the underside of our mat is smooth.

We started with bricks on the corners but it would eventually go crooked. Went to HD and bought clear silicone and laid out some thick beads and let dry. Has been gripping Great!
Beads of silicon on the cement, correct? This is a great idea. We pick ours up after each use in order to park our cars in the garage, but I'm thinking the silicon will hold up just fine.

Jul 31, 2019
I've heard of some people gluing furniture gripper pads at various points along the edges. They're inexpensive and supposedly work on carpet as well as hardwood and can be used on both. I don't know what kind of success they've had however and I'm thinking it would work much better on a gym floor than carpet.

The other thing I've actually seen and seems to work as well as can be expected is getting the old school clear rubber carpet runner with the pointed knobs on the bottom from a big box store and adhering it to the bottom with 2 sided carpet tape. I know HD has it in a brand that's 27" wide and 12 feet long for around $14 at the store near me. Just cut it to length and you'll have extra for when the knobs start breaking off and can replace it when needed.

I have used the carpet runners and they work really well. The only problem is that over time, the mat turf surface begins separating from the bottom padding and bunches up. Once they separate, the mat becomes relatively useless. I ended up taking the mat, and cutting open the pad area that separated, pealed it back and glued it back down with liquid nail. I'm testing it now but it was a lot of work to re-glue it. On a positive note, the mat lasted 4-5 years with heavy usage.

Apr 10, 2021
Beads of silicon on the cement, correct? This is a great idea. We pick ours up after each use in order to park our cars in the garage, but I'm thinking the silicon will hold up just fine.
Actually- set beads of silicone on the underside of the mat itself and let cure.

We are using it in a paver surface like this which has a bit more texture than a smooth garage floor might have. YMMV

Aug 9, 2021
Actually- set beads of silicone on the underside of the mat itself and let cure.

We are using it in a paver surface like this which has a bit more texture than a smooth garage floor might have. YMMV
Makes sense. We typically set up the mat in the garage though we could move it out and put it on pavers. Honestly the bumper plates on the rear corners works fine, but you've given me something to think about for the front part of the mat if it becomes problematic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414