Looking for ideas on how to keep a pitching mat from sliding on an indoor turf surface

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
It’s the kind of turf that has the rubber “pellets” in it. The mat moves all over, especially with the older girls.

Dec 11, 2010
Try the extra wide gorilla tape. I think it’s 4” wide. On indoor/outdoor carpet I didn’t have to overlap it, might have to on turf/pellets but it’s really grippy.

Maybe four spots, front/back/each side.

Menards, Home Depot or Lowes should have it.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I've heard of some people gluing furniture gripper pads at various points along the edges. They're inexpensive and supposedly work on carpet as well as hardwood and can be used on both. I don't know what kind of success they've had however and I'm thinking it would work much better on a gym floor than carpet.

The other thing I've actually seen and seems to work as well as can be expected is getting the old school clear rubber carpet runner with the pointed knobs on the bottom from a big box store and adhering it to the bottom with 2 sided carpet tape. I know HD has it in a brand that's 27" wide and 12 feet long for around $14 at the store near me. Just cut it to length and you'll have extra for when the knobs start breaking off and can replace it when needed.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
I used Gorilla tape to attach mine to one of the large rubber horse stall mats you can buy at Tractor supply or similar stores. The whole thing could still move a little, but won't bunch up and will move much less than just the mat.

Aug 9, 2021
We just use two 25 pound bumper plates on the corners next to the rubber. Weights it down enough to not move on cement.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I wonder if one of those office floor mats (the ones that are made for carpet and go under an office chair) could be cut to the shape of your mat. The pokers on the mat would stick to the turf. Then you could use the double sided tape to stick the two together and not have the little black tire turds sticking to the tape.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Turn the pitching mat around. That way they can still use the mound to push off of but they don't land on the mat. Most of the movement of the mat is when the pitcher lands on the mat, not when they push off the mound. That will fix most of the issue but it still won't be perfect. Personally I think this works better on a turf field. If you were on concrete I would add some heavy dumbells or some other kind of weight.

Apr 10, 2021
We just use two 25 pound bumper plates on the corners next to the rubber. Weights it down enough to not move on cement.
We use ours on concrete as well except the underside of our mat is smooth.

We started with bricks on the corners but it would eventually go crooked. Went to HD and bought clear silicone and laid out some thick beads and let dry. Has been gripping Great!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles