Looking for advice for developing a young pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD is 10 and is pitching her first year in U12 LL. Started seeing a pitching coach early in the season but as the season moved on we've slacked off (long story). We like the coach and will resume when we can.

She's doing very well. We go out and throw at least every other day. She pitches almost all of our games.

To me her "fastball" doesn't have speed yet though I'm told otherwise by other coaches.
She does have an effective changeup which is considerably slower and seems to take an unreasonable amount of time to reach my glove.

I believe the speed will improve over time with practice and instruction, and I don't think a kid at her skill level is ready to learn how to move the ball, BUT....

Are there exercises or drills or anything she can work on now that will make her better prepared when she is ready to learn to apply movement to her pitches?

I'm not trying to rush her, I'm just looking to build a foundation and give her some stuff to work on in the off-season.

thanks!

Jun 27, 2010
my little one started throwing about 9 months ago. she just turned 9 she goes to a coach and he had her throw nothing but fastball for 4 months till she was always hitting the zone. we then moved onto change up and drop. this fall after she masters these pitches he will move her onto some other pitches. at 10 u level these are about the only pitches you really need. hopefully we will be way ahead since we still have 2 more years of 10u. good luck! just make sure she is hitting her pitches before you give her a bunch more to work on.. i would get a drop pitch for sure..very easy pitch to throw

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55