LL changing age reuqirement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
I saw this Little League to phase out 13-year-olds beginning in 2018.

Anybody know if they are going to use this for softball too?

Guess they got really tired of those 5ft 10in 160lbs kids with facial hair playing with 5ft 2in 95lbs kids on a 60ft bases and 220ft fences.

It will help a little the big issue is TV viewer getting confused as to why 13yo are playing in the 11-12yo division.

Should also cut down a little on all those 275ft HRs.

Jun 22, 2008
It isn't going to stop the large size variation. As I recall, they have to be 12 as of June if Im not mistaken, so they have only been 13 for a couple of months at most. My daughter played with a kid that was 12, 6' 6" and 225 lbs.

Jan 27, 2014
The size difference will always be there. My daughter could have played majors this past season with an April bday and at the time she was 5'10, now she is 6' tall at 13 and still growing. She's always been much bigger than the other kids, not just the year between 12-13. It's not a contact sport, so I've never really understood why some make such an issue out of it. I've had many parents make comments to me in little league, including demanding to see her birth certificate or when she was 10, telling their kids she's really 13 and listening to them scream about it the whole game when she got up to bat.

When my son played I saw 12 yr old boys knock balls out of the park over center field and into the parking lot. It had nothing to do with their age or size, some of them could just hit.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I saw this Little League to phase out 13-year-olds beginning in 2018.

Anybody know if they are going to use this for softball too?

Guess they got really tired of those 5ft 10in 160lbs kids with facial hair playing with 5ft 2in 95lbs kids on a 60ft bases and 220ft fences.

All they are doing is moving the cutoff date from the start of summer to the end. Effectively it is only a couple of months move so it isn't going to change anything other than now none of the players will be 13 at the actual LLWS.

They wont change softball since the cutoff dates are already set at Jan 1st so they don't have these issues anyway.

Dec 27, 2014
With current softball rules we would have 13 year olds on DD's team at the time of the world Series when DD is 11, and current league age 11.

Any girl born in 2002 would be league age 12, and could have played in the WS this year, but could be 13 and a half by the time of the LL WS, if born in the first part of the year.

The way I understand it, if they change the rule to what they are saying for the boys, DD would not be able to play in the World Series when she is still 12. She is a very late August bday so would be 12 in the World Series, but 13 as of the 8/31 date a few weeks after the girls are done. Boys WS play a little later than the girls.

They probably won't implement this for girls since we have different league age rules than the boys to begin with in LL. And, we may be done with LL by then. :)

But it is a potential conundrum to be 12 and not eligible to play...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13