List of Basic Pitching Signals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2013
My catcher wears a wrist band like the ones quarterbacks use. We use a few different card inserts from keeping the other teams from stealing our calls.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
My catcher wears a wrist band like the ones quarterbacks use. We use a few different card inserts from keeping the other teams from stealing our calls.

I was watching a game where two coaches in the dugout held up a small board with different pictures or symbols on each board for every pitch; the board or picture combination obvioulsy meant type and location. Is this the system you speak of?

Jul 28, 2008
Another option is make up something that rhymes to make is easy to remember, DD likes Fast-Slow-High-Low:
1. Fast (fastball) - 2. Slow (change) - 3. High (rise) - 4. Low (drop)

DD's team also used 1-4 for the four corners. So 1-1 is a low inside fastball, 1-2 would be a high inside fastball and so on.

I use something VERY similar to this. Sometimes I give three signals. First one may be a dummy signal. I mix it up. I also have that dreaded #5 location for a 3-0 count when you need the strike. I also like to work with them to have it 1, 2 or 3 balls off the plate for those aggressive hitters.

Jan 22, 2013
I was watching a game where two coaches in the dugout held up a small board with different pictures or symbols on each board for every pitch; the board or picture combination obvioulsy meant type and location. Is this the system you speak of?
We justt have a numbered list on the wrist band cards. Simply call a number to designate what pitch we want. Change cards every so often just in case other team is catching on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid