Less than a superstar at teaching pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is a superstar pitching coach--superstar meaning she was recognized as the best pitcher in the NCAA when she was in college. She was phenomenal. God bless her...she was at least 10X better than my DD.

Her effectiveness as a PI leaves a lot to be desired. There's something off with how she teaches, if she is teaching anything.

E.g., one kid took lessons from her for 2 years and then stopped. The kid's pitching motion is awful--it's like she never took a lesson. It seems that with two years of pitching lessons, you should have the basic motion. Another supposedly learned a curve and screw--neither of which appears to have any movement at all.

The kids really like her. They haven't learned anything, but they really like her.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I suspect for many if not most of these great or elite talents they achieve what they do almost in spite of any formal instruction. That is, they are such talented athletes that simply devoting their time and attention to a particular skill is enough, over time, to achieve mastery of that skill. Their bodies simply figure it out. Many of them probably don't have any idea how they are doing it and don't care and I am not sure they should. They just know that it happens, which is good enough if you are player rather than a coach. Of course, the vast majority of kids do not have these elite athletic abilities and need good instruction to reach their full potential.

Aug 21, 2008
And since she's not bad to look at, dad's probably refuse to let their kid change coaches!!!!

May 16, 2019
There is a superstar pitching coach--superstar meaning she was recognized as the best pitcher in the NCAA when she was in college. She was phenomenal. God bless her...she was at least 10X better than my DD.

Her effectiveness as a PI leaves a lot to be desired. There's something off with how she teaches, if she is teaching anything.

E.g., one kid took lessons from her for 2 years and then stopped. The kid's pitching motion is awful--it's like she never took a lesson. It seems that with two years of pitching lessons, you should have the basic motion. Another supposedly learned a curve and screw--neither of which appears to have any movement at all.

The kids really like her. They haven't learned anything, but they really like her.
I have a similar story in my area. Big name college player back in her day, not much of a coach IMO judging by the girls I've seen her coach. Parents drink the cool-aid all the time.

Nov 9, 2021
I would say it is pretty hard to select the right coach many times. Sometimes we get lucky and sometimes we don’t.

The reason we generally get a coach is because we don’t know enough to help our kid enough on our own. That also means we don’t know enough to know if the coach doesn’t know what they are talking about.

I would say it is very easy to give a coach that played at the highest level the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately you may waste several months or longer before you realize you need something different.

I would even say picking a private coach may be one of the more difficult things I have to do as a parent. Generally we are limited some by location anyways and then there are varied opinions on most topics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 29, 2023
My daughter is an 8th grader. She had a very good coach who had 30 minute lessons. They worked well for her but they were basically 18 minute lessons if we're being honest. She moved to coach who throws for an hour and the new coach is great. I do think that should be the norm 8th grade, maybe sooner.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You must've hit your head this morning or something, I'm a knockout. I've serious thought and contemplation to foregoing the pitching coach career and finally becoming the male model that my fans demand. Shame on you Redon.
You have a great face for radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes