Length to weight ratio

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
What does it mean as the ratio goes up and/or down with bats? I am looking for a new bat for DD (31/19) and don't have a clue in regards to -10 or -12...

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
A negative 10 means that you take the length of the bat and subtract 10 from it to get the weight. For instance, if it is a 32 inch bat it will weigh 22 ounces. Same goes for a drop 9, drop 11, etc.

Oct 19, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
The length to weight ratio is most easily explained by example. A 31/21 bat is 31" long and weighs 21 ounces or is -10 (31 minus 21), meaning the weight of the bat (in ounces) is 10 less than the length of the bat (in inches). Another example, a 33/24 is a -9 (33-24 = 9).

I would talk to parents of kids in your association that are 12u and 14u maybe they would sell you their childs old one. At 10u I do not think it is necessary to spend the money on a new composite. Incidentally if she is hitting .500 with the bat she has ; why change?
Mike

Feb 9, 2009
She's had this bat for almost two years, and we've used it at every practice, every batting practice, every game, and it gets borrowed by other players. It wasn't expensive ($40) and she commented a few weeks ago that she's not hitting the ball as farthis season even though she feels like she is swinging better. So...I just feel like it's time to take her up a notch with her bat...
Found a Louisville Slugger at Dicks for $149...a Dynasty. Any input?

Nov 18, 2009
If you are going to spend $150 go on ebay you can find a still in wrapper composite for that kind of money.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
And I want to stress the "still in the wrapper" part. There are many shaved composite bats floating around on Ebay for the girls.

Feb 9, 2009
so...here's my confusion.
Do I go on EBAY and buy a NEW composite bat (and is that the same thing as an ALLOY bat?) OR
Do I go on EBAY and buy a used composite that has been broken in?

And why don't the sport stores around here carry any decent bats for my DD???????????

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I would buy a NEW composite bat if I was you. An alloy is a mixture of metals, it could be anything... Trust me though, if there was composite in that alloy they would tell you.

Where are you living? We live in hickville, I've owned a better variety of bats than our sporting goods store carries. If we drive aways, we can find some good stuff though.

Feb 8, 2009
Composite bats do matter at 10u. I like the Mikens as a group. You can get the Halo light for $170.00 brand new.Demarini Vendttas are nice, but are known to break easily. I believe the -12 is the way to go. Most kids need the length, IMHO.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse